We're Hiring!

Problem with exporting JPEG

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Problem with exporting JPEG

Postby toedling » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:24 am

I have installed an OMERO server on our server and most things seemed to work out of the box, thanks to the good instructions on your web page. However, for some strange reason, exporting merged images as JPEG using the Insight 4.3.0 clients returns the error message "folder is write-protected" even though it is not. Exporting as OME-TIFFs to the same folder works, though.
Do you have insights on what might be the source of the problem? Please let me know if you require further information.

Cheers,
Joern
toedling

Re: Problem with exporting JPEG

Postby jburel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

We have seen the problem before and tested on various platforms. The bug seems to have reappeared.
Could you indicate the platform insight is installed on. I suspect Windows.
Could you send us the log file located in your home directory under omero.log.insight.log

Thanks
Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby toedling » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 am

I am using the Insight client under Linux Mint, attached is an archive containing the log file "omeroinsight.log". However, it seems that the failed export attempt has not written anything to that log file.
The server is installed on a Debian Linux machine. Please let me know if you require further information.
Attachments
log.zip
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
toedling

Postby jburel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks
I will check what's going on?
jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby jburel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 am

looking at the log file.
There are several exception thrown when trying to render the image.
Did that happen after? it might be another problem.
Could you give us more information about this particular image?

Thanks
Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby toedling » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for the quick reply. The rendering was done after the failed export but for me it seems to have worked, not sure that those exceptions mean. Anyway, this image was a merged one from single images, but the problem with exporting JPEGs is a general one. I uploaded my own JPEG and then again tried to export it as JPEG with the same error message "Folder is write-protected". Simply downloading the image worked. Also "batch export" and downloading the resulting zip archive to the same folder also worked. So the issue solely seems to be with the "Export as JPEG" functionality and its checks for write permissions.
toedling

Postby jburel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for the extra information.

Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby jburel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Clarification required:
Is the "Save As JPEG" you are referring to is the "Save As" functionality in the image viewer (save as JPEG, PNG, TIFF)?
We have tried to reproduce the problem with the released client and the development client on Ubuntu (various versions), linux mint 11 but we could not reproduce the problem.
Which version of linux mint are you using, which version of Java?
I have made a minor change that could eventually fix your issue.

Thanks
jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby toedling » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:27 am

Hello,

actually I was referring to the "saving options" functionality in the data manager (the icon with the red arrow in the top-right corner). Selecting "Save as JPEG" returns this wrong "write-protected" statement. After your question, I checked the "save as" function in the image viewer and there I actually can write the image to the same folder and do not get the same error.
Versions: Java version 1.6.0_24 on Linux Mint 11

Joern
toedling

Postby jburel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:06 pm

jburel
Team Member

Next

Return to User Discussion