We're Hiring!

Omero 4.1.1 Problem with windows XP service

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Omero 4.1.1 Problem with windows XP service

Postby wapar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi there,

I installed OMERO-beta4.1.1 on a windows XP box (to c:\omero_dist)
and get a problem when trying to create and start the OMERO.master service from a console

Code: Select all
c:\omero_dist>bin\omero admin start

Results in Messages:
No descriptor given. Using etc\grid\windefault.xml
[SC] CreateService SUCCESS
[SC] StartService FAILED 2:
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden
("System cannot find the file as defined ..." – my own translation to english ;) ...

Having a look to the windows services console (OMERO.master), I find the
Path to the exe file as following:
icegridnode.exe "--Ice.Config=C:\omero_dist\etc\internal.cfg,C:\omero_dist\etc\master.cfg,C:\omero_dist\etc\Windows.cfg" --deploy "C:\omero_dist\etc\grid\windefault.xml" --service OMERO.master

But also, when I try to start the service from the servicesConsole, again it fails with ERROR 2 and a message appears the the file was not found.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Here below my own "research" up to now …

1:
I have done the whole installation including the "omero admin start" from an windows administrator account, hence there should not be any problems with file access privileges … (as to the omero_dist and omero binaries directories)

2a:
Both the PATH and PYTHONPATH env have been set appropriately, and the computer had been restarted subsequently …:
echo %Path%
...;C:\Ice-3.3.1\bin

echo %PYTHONPATH%
C:\omero_dist\lib\python;C:\Ice-3.3.1\python

2b:
From a console I can call from a deliberate directory (e.g. the omero_dist):
Icegridnode –Ice.Config=c:\omero_dist\etc\internal.cfg

hence the Path env is working properly
However the call results in an error
icegridnode: error: property `IceGrid.Node.Data' is not set

and aborts …

3:
The following call from console (working directory is omero_dist) succeeds to start the icegridnode process (of course not as a service …)
Icegridnode.exe "--Ice.Config=C:\omero_dist\etc\internal.cfg,C:\omero_dist\etc\master.cfg,C:\omero_dist\etc\Windows.cfg" --deploy "C:\omero_dist\etc\grid\windefault.xml"

Prerequisites installed
    PostgreSQL 8.3
    JDK SE 6 (Update 21)
    Ice-3.3.1-VC80
    ActivePython-2.5.5.7-win32-x86

ADVthanksANCE for your help,
Walter
wapar

Re: Omero 4.1.1 Problem with windows XP service

Postby jmoore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Walter,

Could you perhaps send us the output of:
bin\omero admin diagnostics

and any log files which are under var\log.

Thanks,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby wapar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Josh,

whow, thanks so much for your quick answer.

I've redirected the output of omero admin diagnostics to the log dir (diagnostics-20100714.txt) and packed it together with the rest of the directory to the log.zip attached herein ...

Please note, that I also did some experiments, trying to start icegridnode from the windows console (partly?) with inadequate options, I guess :roll: ).
So if the interpretation of logs is to cumbersome due to this, just let me know how to purge these files and produce a new "clean" set of information ...

FYI some more information, which might help:

1:
PostgreSQL(8.3) bin IS NOT included in the PATH env, hence psql.exe is not found. PostgreSQL is automatically started as a service, however: I can call psql from the windows console with dedicated path and parameters:
c:\programme\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\psql -U omero omero
and query the omero db (eg. the experimenter or password table) ...

2:
So far, I did NOT install the prerequisites described to be necessary for omero.web only (as far as I understood this from the install-windows page). So neither PIL nor matplot lib and numpy are installed yet.

3:
Meanwhile I also tried to start the omero.master service using the dedicated (admin group) user login, with which I did the whole installation. (the service used the local system login before). Unfortunately to no avail, (but you might find traces of this in the logs) ...

Greetings and thanks again
Walter
Attachments
log.zip
content of omero_dist/var/log including the output of omero admin diagnostics
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
wapar

Postby jmoore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am

Cleaning out the logs would definitely be helpful.
rmdir /s var

would work. But so would renaming "var". Also, go ahead and try "bin\omero admin start" before you run diagnostics. It's ok to leave it running (i.e. no need to call "bin\omero admin stop" first).

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby wapar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Josh,

I renamed the whole var directory and did a new bin\omero admin start from omero_dist as working dir:
Getting the following messages:
Creating c:\omero_dist\var\master
Initializing c:\omero_dist\var\log
Creating c:\omero_dist\var\registry
No descriptor given. Using etc\grid\windefault.xml
[SC] StartService FAILED 2:
"file not found" (msg translated from german)
Waiting on startup

Then waited until the process aborted with
Failed to startup after 5 minutes

did the bin\omero admin diagnostics > var\diagnostics-20100714b.txt

The above (aborted) process only created the var\master var\log and var\registry subdirectories, but they remained empty. (no hidden or system files either) Seems that before the log files have been exclusively produced, by my "other experiments" :?

So the var.zip attached only contains the diagnostics output here, because empty directories are ignored by the packer ...

Greetings Walter
Attachments
var.zip
zip of empty var structure with diagnostics output only
(526 Bytes) Downloaded 233 times
wapar

Postby jmoore » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Walter,

Sorry for the slow response. On the one hand we were pushing out 4.2.0 yesterday, and on the other, you've got me a bit stumped. The only difference I can think of now comes down to ownership and file visibility. When you run "bin\omero admin start", it sets up the service OMERO.master (as you saw) and then tells it to start as the user "LocalService". Could you try one of several things:
  • Run bin\omero admin start with the "-u" option, and provide it with your name and password when asked
  • Configure the omero.windows.user and omero.windows.pass properties (which does exactly the same as above but permanently
  • Change the user on the already existing OMERO.master service and restart the service via "sc" or the services manager (does the same as the above two but without as much fiddling)
  • Alternatively, check that "LocalService" has permissions to see the files under c:\omero_dist

Best wishes,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby Trefex » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:55 am

Try starting the command line prompt as an administrator.
Trefex

Return to Installation and Deployment