We're Hiring!

Processing load - java client vs. omero.web

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Processing load - java client vs. omero.web

Postby ahar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi,
I'm just trying to get an idea of how 'beefy' the server for omero.web would need to be. It'll be on a different machine from the omero server itself and the guys who look after the web servers will want to know what the impact of adding omero.web will be. Does much 'work' get done on the web server? Also, does using omero.web place a greater burden on the omero server than the desktop Java client?
Sorry if these questions are a bit woolly.
Thanks
ahar

Re: Processing load - java client vs. omero.web

Postby manics » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Ahar

A typical production configuration is to have a front-end web server such as Apache or Nginx acting as a front-end proxy to OMERO.web. If you're concerned about overloading a shared web-server you could run OMERO.web on the same server as OMERO.server, and configure Apache or Nginx to proxy the requests.

Simon
manics
Team Member

Postby ahar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi,
Thanks. I should add that we have OMERO.server running on Windows and I know very little about web servers!
ahar

Postby manics » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Can you find out from your sysadmins what web-servers and platforms they're using? If it's IIS it'll be a lot more complicated to setup.
manics
Team Member

Return to Installation and Deployment