We're Hiring!

Users connected

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Users connected

Postby phm » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 am

Hi,

Is there a command to know the connected users ?
And secondly, when I shutdown or run the OMERO server I have a mail from omero. However when I try to send mail to users via the web client The email does not arrive to its destination.

Philippe
phm

Re: Users connected

Postby jmoore » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:13 am

Hi Philippe,

phm wrote:Is there a command to know the connected users ?

In what context? E.g. from the CLI as the "root" OMERO user?

And secondly, when I shutdown or run the OMERO server I have a mail from omero. However when I try to send mail to users via the web client The email does not arrive to its destination.

What does the mail look like? Did you configure the new mail support? If so, can you share your configuration with us? Having the OMEROweb.log and Blitz-0.log from var/log for one failed attempt to send email would be useful.

Thanks,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby phm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:14 pm

jmoore wrote:Hi Philippe,

phm wrote:Is there a command to know the connected users ?

In what context? E.g. from the CLI as the "root" OMERO user?
In the web admin it will be nice, however in command line as an omero comand

What does the mail look like? Did you configure the new mail support? If so, can you share your configuration with us?

Code: Select all
omero.mail.config=true
omero.mail.host=localhost
omero.mail.port=25
omero.web.admins=[["Philippe Mailly", "philippe.mailly@college-de-france.fr"]]

Having the OMEROweb.log and Blitz-0.log from var/log for one failed attempt to send email would be useful.
.[/quote]
2015-04-17 11:24:55,290 INFO  [  o.cmd.mail.SendEmailRequestI.@2c3487c6] (erver-1144) Add callback: _`csq,SSt(-c(_#VgPN\//7a60f892-f12a-4dcd-827a-fef817f6950e
2015-04-17 11:24:55,291 INFO  [  o.cmd.mail.SendEmailRequestI.@2c3487c6] (erver-1145) getResponse: omero.cmd.SendEmailResponse@3f3e1c6b
2015-04-17 11:24:55,292 INFO  [  o.cmd.mail.SendEmailRequestI.@2c3487c6] (erver-1146) getStatus: omero.cmd.Status@6bbd53d
2015-04-17 11:24:55,294 INFO  [  o.cmd.mail.SendEmailRequestI.@2c3487c6] (erver-1144) Closing...
2015-04-17 11:24:55,294 INFO  [  o.cmd.mail.SendEmailRequestI.@2c3487c6] (erver-1144) notify finished: omero.cmd.SendEmailResponse@3f3e1c6b/omero.cmd.Status@6bbd53d

And nothing in OMEROweb.log

Finally, after checking my server log it was because the mail was refused by the IT service ....

Philippe
phm

Postby jmoore » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for letting us know, Philippe.

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby phm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 am

jmoore wrote:Thanks for letting us know, Philippe.

Cheers,
~Josh.

Hi Josh,

And what about a command to know the connected users. It's will be very useful for shutdown the server or for maintenance. Or how to know if some people transfer images ?

Cheers,

Philippe
phm

Postby kennethgillen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Philippe,

phm wrote:And what about a command to know the connected users. It's will be very useful for shutdown the server or for maintenance. Or how to know if some people transfer images ?

I will usually grep the Blitz log, for `user=` lines, though Josh has recommended using HQL to query the event log, as follows (replacing the date/time with whatever time you're interested in):

/opt/omero/OMERO-CURRENT/bin/omero hql "select e.experimenter.omeName, count(e) from Event e where e.time > cast('2015-04-22 16:00', timestamp) group by e.experimenter.omeName" -q | egrep -v "root|sysadmin-userid|PUBLIC|guest"

Here's my Blitz log grep - but point to note, the above HQL seems to return the same users shown up in my Blitz log parse, and a few more. Since I'm not sure why that is, I usually run both.

Change the '[0-5]' to whatever minute range in the current hour you're interested in.
cat /opt/omero/OMERO-CURRENT/var/log/Blitz-0.log | grep "$(date +%Y-%m-%d' '%H:)[0-5]"  | grep 'user=' | awk '{ print $8 }' | sort | cut -d',' -f1 | uniq | cut -d'=' -f2  | egrep -v '0' | xargs OMERO-CURRENT/bin/omero user info  --user-id

And I'll do a `tail` of the web server log, too, to see if there are existing sessions to OMERO.web.

Hope that's of some us.

All the best,

Kenny
kennethgillen

Postby phm » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:54 am

kennethgillen wrote:Hi Philippe,

phm wrote:And what about a command to know the connected users. It's will be very useful for shutdown the server or for maintenance. Or how to know if some people transfer images ?

I will usually grep the Blitz log, for `user=` lines, though Josh has recommended using HQL to query the event log, as follows (replacing the date/time with whatever time you're interested in):

/opt/omero/OMERO-CURRENT/bin/omero hql "select e.experimenter.omeName, count(e) from Event e where e.time > cast('2015-04-22 16:00', timestamp) group by e.experimenter.omeName" -q | egrep -v "root|sysadmin-userid|PUBLIC|guest"

Here's my Blitz log grep - but point to note, the above HQL seems to return the same users shown up in my Blitz log parse, and a few more. Since I'm not sure why that is, I usually run both.

Change the '[0-5]' to whatever minute range in the current hour you're interested in.
cat /opt/omero/OMERO-CURRENT/var/log/Blitz-0.log | grep "$(date +%Y-%m-%d' '%H:)[0-5]"  | grep 'user=' | awk '{ print $8 }' | sort | cut -d',' -f1 | uniq | cut -d'=' -f2  | egrep -v '0' | xargs OMERO-CURRENT/bin/omero user info  --user-id

And I'll do a `tail` of the web server log, too, to see if there are existing sessions to OMERO.web.

Hope that's of some us.

All the best,

Kenny

Thank Kenny you for "tips" is a bit difficult to remember..... An omero command like omero who_is_online could be very nice.

Philippe
phm

Postby jmoore » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 am

Agreed, Philippe. Already added a card to add the necessary methods. Thanks for the idea.

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby kennethgillen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm

phm wrote:An omero command like omero who_is_online could be very nice.

Hi Philippe,

Just in case you're still watching this thread, I was just using the OMERO CLI command inspired by this thread, and thought I'd add it's help text here for reference.

This feature was implemented in the CLI and is now available with OMERO 5.1.2.

[omerouser@server OMERO-CURRENT]$ bin/omero sessions who -h
usage: bin/omero sessions who [-h]

List all active server sessions

Administrators will receive a list of all active sessions
along with critical information on last activity. This is
useful for determining whether or not the server can be
restarted.

Other users will only see a list of names, i.e. users who
can be considered "online".

Optional Arguments:
  In addition to any higher level options