We're Hiring!

grey omero insight login window (linux)

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Re: grey omero insight login window (linux)

Postby axkibe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:39 am

Dominik wrote:Looks like the Gnome guys already fixed it, impressively fast! So probably no workaround needed. Will test that issue again with an updated Gnome.

Regards,
Dominik

Indeed! With lots of explanations I understood zero of.

However I roughly guess it will take aprox 5. years until the current gnome shell in the making will have displaced most current installations. I'll distribute a modified client to my users with the removeNotify/addNotify workaround. But I can fully understand if you don't want to clutter your codebase with workarounds which in a few years nobody will remember why they are there.

"XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP" would be a environment variable that says if GNOME is running. But getting its version would require parsing /usr/share/gnome/gnome-version.xml which sounds like overkill to me.
axkibe

Postby Dominik » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:45 am

Well, if their released version is so far behind their development branch, then I'll probably add a workaround, too. I'm not familiar with the Gnome release process, thanks for the hint.

Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby axkibe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:22 am

Its less about GNOME than distributions. Debian for example releases aprox 2 years with the last release happened April 2015. Then add some time until (almost) everyone made a distribution upgrade...

I'll see if the Debian downstream team is willing to add that bugfix into their current release, that would shorten the time significantly until it gets spread; for debian users at least.
axkibe

Postby Dominik » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:16 am

That's true. And adding a workaround doesn't do any harm. It's just likely to get forgotten to remove it again at some point. I'm going to add this as a workaround https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openm ... /pull/4388
It's not the login screen only which is affected; I found other undecorated components (e. g. TinyDialog) in Insight, which also show the problem. But in contrast to the login screen they don't make Insight unusable. For example the TinyDialog is used for a popup dialog displaying the location of an image (which Dataset/Project), triggered by the "Show location" button on the right hand side metadata panel.
However I tried different workarounds, not all of them worked everywhere. The only workaround I found which seems to trigger a repaint in all cases was to change the size of the component after being made visible.

Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Previous

Return to Installation and Deployment