We're Hiring!

Scheduler/HPC cluster Integration

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Re: Scheduler/HPC cluster Integration

Postby liz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Josh

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the nodes portion, I guess that's the part that I'm a little confused after reading all over, over and over.

Just to verify, does nodes here mean like.. a compute node? (doubt so, but just putting it out there..) or it means processors in a (compute) node?

I'm confused because if this is the case, then wouldn't this be a cluster configuration for omero?

Any way to have that explained.. in simple terms? :)

Thanks, so much!

liz
liz

Re: Scheduler/HPC cluster Integration

Postby jmoore » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Liz,

liz wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Gladly.

Regarding the nodes portion, I guess that's the part that I'm a little confused after reading all over, over and over. ... Just to verify, does nodes here mean like.. a compute node? (doubt so, but just putting it out there..) or it means processors in a (compute) node?

Usually there's a one-to-one correspondence between OMERO nodes and cluster nodes, so it often works out to the same thing. An OMERO node is some unique name (per cluster) which is passed to bin/omero node start. ("bin/omero admin start" internally starts the "master" node by convention).

Cluster nodes, though, need not have an OMERO node started on them and can connect to OMERO just fine as "clients", and this is likely where you will want to start. Set up one large OMERO server, and just make use of the extra nodes as compute resources, until you need something more.

I'm confused because if this is the case, then wouldn't this be a cluster configuration for omero?
Any way to have that explained.. in simple terms? :)

Hope so!
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Developer Discussion