We're Hiring!

Loading Embedded Viewer / Authentication?

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Loading Embedded Viewer / Authentication?

Postby bbimber » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello,

We have a LabKey Server instance (this is a java/tomcat webapp). We have a table of data, showing omero thumbnails (via java client), and when you click the thumbnail is opens an iframe with the embedded omero viewer. This all seems to be working great.

The only minor inconvenience is that the first time the user opens the embedded viewer they are asked to log in. Are there any typical patterns one can use w/ embedded viewers to avoid this? Both applications use the same LDAP server and have a common set of users, FWIW.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
bbimber

Re: Loading Embedded Viewer / Authentication?

Postby jmoore » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

bbimber wrote:Hello,

Hi Benamin,

We have a LabKey Server instance (this is a java/tomcat webapp). We have a table of data, showing omero thumbnails (via java client), and when you click the thumbnail is opens an iframe with the embedded omero viewer. This all seems to be working great.

Sounds great.

The only minor inconvenience is that the first time the user opens the embedded viewer they are asked to log in. Are there any typical patterns one can use w/ embedded viewers to avoid this? Both applications use the same LDAP server and have a common set of users, FWIW.

The proper solution here would be to have one of the applications differing to other for authentication/authorization via a single-sign on pattern like oauth. OMERO doesn't yet support this, though as you can imagine there's an open issue.

I only know of LabKey; I've never looked into developing for it myself, so here are some short-term options that I can think of which way or may not be feasible:

• Perform an action on login to create a session with both systems at the same time.
  • If LabKey keeps the password (which it shouldn't) then re-use it.
  • Store an OMERO session token in the user's configuration for logging in.
  • Teach OMERO how to use LabKey as a password provider such that you can pass some LabKey token to OMERO. (This is basically a custom single-sign on system).

Hope that helps,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Re: Loading Embedded Viewer / Authentication?

Postby bbimber » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 pm

that makes sense, thanks
bbimber

Return to Developer Discussion