We're Hiring!

Delete Scientists

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Delete Scientists

Postby rdccmemg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm new to OMERO but got everything to work.
However when I'm in webadmin I cannot delete any users (scientists) at all. There is an ID column with the ID number and edit button but no delete button.
I'm guessing this must be something stupid from my side ... ???
Anybody any thoughts?

thanks in advance!
rdccmemg

Re: Delete Scientists

Postby wmoore » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid this is something a bit stupid from our side: You can't delete scientists from OMERO, mostly because we don't have a nice way to deal with all the data, annotations etc, etc that are linked to that user.

We are currently working on functionality to be able to move data from one user / group to another, which will go some way to help with this.

In the mean-time, you can "disable" a user (see the Edit user page", which will prevent them from logging in etc.

Apologies for this,

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby rdccmemg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks a lot for your reply. It would be nice in future release but it is not essential in a starting phase.
rdccmemg

Postby Manz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 am

Hey Guys,

Just checking this is still true in 4.4.3 and whether this applies to groups and users ?

Manda
Manz

Postby jmoore » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Manda,

definitely still true including 4.4.4 and the soon to be released 4.4.5.

Do you want to be CC'd on the ticket?

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby Manz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

No thank you, it was more just out of curiousity. Thanks anyway :)
Manz

Postby Sethur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am

Hi,

I'm currently setting up an OMERO.server-5.0.0-rc1 for a new Core Facility Unit and found out that it is still not possible to scientists/experimenters or groups.

This came as a surprise to me, since I would not have expected such an elementary feature to be absent in any serious data management system. As a consequence, I am unable to delete users / groups I created for testing purposes by normal means, i.e. I would have to edit the database directly. I opted for completely resetting the whole database for now, but this is not a viable solution for any future changes.

Are there any plans on when to include this?
Sethur

Postby jmoore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm

For the next major version (5.1), we plan on revisiting the code that would be used to delete a user or group. I can add you to the CC on https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/11779 if you'd like to be kept up-to-date. Completion of 11779 does not guarantee that the feature will be available, though.

The current workaround is to change the name of the groups and/or users to something clearly disabled and to mark them as disabled. Sorry for your difficulties.

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby Sethur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi Josh,

thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it would be good to be on CC with this issue.
Sethur

Postby couchman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi,

we are looking to tidy up some accounts in our OMERO instance so could I bee CC'ed to the ticket too please? On a related note, is it possible to transfer ownership of data between users?

Thanks,

Matt.
couchman

Next

Return to User Discussion