We're Hiring!

Collaboration functionality in bets4.0.3

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Collaboration functionality in bets4.0.3

Postby belanna11 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Hello - I am curious about the collaboration capabilities. We have started using beta4.0.3 and are unable to Switch User so that we can see other users' data. We are also not able to select Public (selection is grayed out and Private is chosen by default) on new Projects and Datasets. Is this a known issue/not developed yet? Is the functionality of Public such that all users could have access to Public Projects and Datasets?
belanna11

Re: Collaboration functionality in bets4.0.3

Postby wmoore » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 pm

This question has come up on the mailing lists too.
Here is my response to the list...

We are currently mid-way through development of full permissions configuration in OMERO.
In Beta-3, we allowed users to access everything that belonged to all members of their group ("group" level access was the default).
However, in order to allow users to configure permissions for their images etc. we have to start with images being private. Things get messy if you try to reduce permissions on objects.
So, in Beta-4 we made everything private by default, but we have not yet implemented the functionality for configuring permissions.

You are correct in thinking that "Public" would allow anyone with an account on the same server to view (Projects, Datasets, Images etc), even if not in the same "Group" as you.

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby belanna11 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just also wanted to clarify on something I said which is not correct. You CAN switch users and view another user's projects, but this view is read-only. I also think that in order to get this to work, you need to create a new group, such as Lab1, and place all users in that group that wish to share views of their data. I did not thoroughly test this however, but just thought I'd post how we are using it currently. It will be great when the permissions are implemented, which will mean that tags and tag sets can be made public. Right now, tags are only private, so users cannot reuse the same tags.
belanna11

Postby wmoore » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am

Hi,
If you are the "leader" of the group, you can view other members' data, but otherwise you will not be able to see their Projects etc.
This might explain why you can do this sometimes and not others, depending on whether you are logged in as the leader of a group or not?
Sharing and reusing tags is one of the many features that will become possible with proper permissions functionality. However, I'm sure you can appreciate that this is going to be a lot of work to get this right.

Current ticket is http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/1434
Thanks for your comments...
wmoore
Team Member

Postby jmwallach » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi,

I have a pretty vanilla 4.1 install up and working with two test users in a group called 'test.' We can images and work with them with the measurement tool but the users cannot see each other's images in insight. Insight does allow us to show the other user's data but it just comes up as empty.

Presently both of the users are administrators but I was unable to share data when one user was an admin and the other not. Am I missing anything obvious?
jmwallach

Postby jmwallach » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:37 am

jmwallach wrote:
Presently both of the users are administrators but I was unable to share data when one user was an admin and the other not. Am I missing anything obvious?

As an update creating two new users (not administrators) and a new group doesn't allow sharing. User A is the owner of the group and has data in datasets, user B is a member of the group. User B can see data through a "share" setup in the web interface but not through insight...

Thanks,
jmw
jmwallach

Postby wmoore » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi,

We are currently working on Permissions, which will be released in OMERO 4.2.

Follow the "Permissions" links from the Roadmap page
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero ... RO-Beta4.2

Also see this announcement...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=344

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Return to User Discussion