We're Hiring!

Plate list does not appear on Web, but okay on Insight

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Plate list does not appear on Web, but okay on Insight

Postby dsudar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi team,

I imported a number of screens with multiple plates that are pretty much the same as many others done before, except these are for a new user and I typically do the import on their behalf using inplace import.

A new glitch appeared: the imports worked fine but when I look on Web for the screens/plates, the little spinner next to the user's name keeps spinning: [img]
Capture.PNG
[/img]

Using htop, I can see that postgres is busy for a while doing a SELECT but that stops after a little while and the spinner keeps spinning forever.

Now, if I access the same user's space using Insight all is well, screen and plates show up, images are looking fine. I.e. not a single problem.

I looked at all kinds of log files OMERO's and postgres's but nothing looks out of the ordinary. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
- Damir
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.03 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
dsudar

Re: Plate list does not appear on Web, but okay on Insight

Postby wmoore » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 am

Hi Damir,

Are you trying to view the new Screens & Plates in web as they are being imported, or some time after?
If the query to load the data in the web failed (E.g. timeout or other failure) then you should see the error dialog?
However, the "spinner" would continue to be shown, even though no more queries were being made.
If you refresh the page, does it eventually work?

Does this happen every time you import SPW data?
If you're seeing this again, you can try to use the browser dev tools to give you more info on how long the request is taking and any error message that may not be resulting in a proper error dialog.
- Right click anywhere on the page and "Inspect Element" to open dev tools. Then look for the Console tab and/or Network tab.

Hopefully this might give some useful info.
Regards,

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby dsudar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Will,

wmoore wrote:Are you trying to view the new Screens & Plates in web as they are being imported, or some time after?

Quite some time after and the server shows to be quiet with htop. The last plate of that batch was imported yesterday. The batch consisted of 36 plates in 5 screens imported on Friday/Saturday and then another 36 plates in 5 screens imported Sunday/yesterday.

wmoore wrote:If the query to load the data in the web failed (E.g. timeout or other failure) then you should see the error dialog?
However, the "spinner" would continue to be shown, even though no more queries were being made.
If you refresh the page, does it eventually work?

No error dialog or any indication of why; it just spins and spins forever. Even today it is still just spinning when I query again. So no, refreshing or waiting a while and trying again all have no effect. But it is only a problem with that one large batch that I did for this new user. All the stuff I uploaded before (almost identical types of SPW sets) can be queried without trouble. But for that one user in that one group it never stops spinning and never shows the list of screens/plates. For that same user in other groups that he's a member of, I do get the list (just the Orphaned container since he has no other data) and for other users in that same offending group, I also get the (Orphaned container only) list without delay.

wmoore wrote:Does this happen every time you import SPW data?

Hasn't happened before and I'm now importing a set into a dummy group just to test. So far no trouble querying and getting the list.

wmoore wrote:- Right click anywhere on the page and "Inspect Element" to open dev tools. Then look for the Console tab and/or Network tab.

Console tab shows:
Code: Select all
"Download the React DevTools for a better development experience: https://fb.me/react-devtools"

Network tab shows:
a "keep alive" ping every minute or so but nothing else.

Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Postby dsudar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Will,

I checked that offending group/user again after I imported another set of plates into a completely different group/user and suddenly the problem is gone. The list pops up immediately and no more issue. Very strange but maybe the import of that other set of plates un-stuck something? Anyway, probably nothing more we can do to troubleshoot and let's hope it doesn't happen again....

Cheers,
- Damir
dsudar

Return to User Discussion