We're Hiring!

revisiting viewing large czi slides in Omero

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

revisiting viewing large czi slides in Omero

Postby daveko » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

So i previously had some issues opening very large (2gb+) files. It would only show a placeholder icon for the thumbnail, and the viewer would take forever to open the image (and ultimately hang).

After some time has passed, i've been revisiting this problem. This time I'm using the 5.2.1 virtual appliance, and running on a pretty powerful desktop machine.

I've alotted 8 cores/16 threads to the VM, as well as 50gb of RAM.

I've changed the JVM settings to the following:
Code: Select all
blitz=-Xmx5000m -XX:MaxPermSize=3g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'max_system_memory': '50000', 'system_memory': '50000', 'percent': '10', 'perm_gen': '3g', 'strategy': 'percent'})
indexer=-Xmx5000m -XX:MaxPermSize=3g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'max_system_memory': '50000', 'system_memory': '50000', 'percent': '10', 'perm_gen': '3g', 'strategy': 'percent'})
pixeldata=-Xmx30000m -XX:MaxPermSize=3g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'max_system_memory': '50000', 'system_memory': '50000', 'percent': '60', 'perm_gen': '3g', 'strategy': 'percent'})
repository=-Xmx5000m -XX:MaxPermSize=3g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'max_system_memory': '50000', 'system_memory': '50000', 'percent': '10', 'perm_gen': '3g', 'strategy': 'percent'})

I've uploaded my logfiles to the QA upload if that helps. (ticket 17655)

thanks very much in advance.
daveko

Re: revisiting viewing large czi slides in Omero

Postby mlinkert » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Thank you for reporting this problem, and for sending log files. We suspect that this was fixed in Bio-Formats 5.4.0, in which case upgrading to the forthcoming OMERO 5.3.0 should allow the files to open.

In the meantime, if you are willing to send one of the .czi files, we would certainly be happy to test locally to verify that Bio-Formats 5.4.0/OMERO 5.3.0 will fix it. Instructions for sending large files to the OME team are being sent by private message.
mlinkert
Team Member

Re: revisiting viewing large czi slides in Omero

Postby mlinkert » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm

My apologies for the delay in following up on this, and thank you for uploading the problematic file.

With OMERO 5.3.0, the file imports in under 3 minutes, and Insight/web show a valid thumbnail immediately after import. The image viewer takes a few seconds to load initially, but the image is otherwise available immediately after import. There is no placeholder or clock icon, so no need to wait for OMERO to generate a pyramid file.

If upgrading to OMERO 5.3.0 and re-importing does not solve the problem on your server, please let us know and we'll investigate further.
mlinkert
Team Member

Return to User Discussion