We're Hiring!

Upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 on windows

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 on windows

Postby achessel » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I am finding myself in the position of having to update a windows 2008 server omero server from 5.0 to 5.2; thankfully support from windows is dropped so whatever happens it's the last time I ever have to do that...

After having (I think) updated everything, server start up fails with the following error:
Code: Select all
PS C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-5.2.7-ice36-b40> bin\omero admin start
WARNING: OMERO.server support for Windows will be removed in OMERO 5.3, see http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/tech-issues/f
uture-plans/deployment/2016/03/22/windows-support/
WARNING: OMERO.server support for Windows will be removed in OMERO 5.3, see http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/tech-issues/f
uture-plans/deployment/2016/03/22/windows-support/
Found default value: c:\omero_dist\var\master
Attempting to correct...
Converting from c:\omero_dist to C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-5.2.7-ice36-b40
Changes made: 6
No descriptor given. Using etc\grid\windefault.xml
Installing OMERO.master Windows service.
Successfully installed OMERO.master Windows service.
OMERO.master service startup failed: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.
OMERO.master service deleted.

It does not seem it started logging anything, so I am not sure which file that is...
'Ice' and 'omero' can be imported in python, Ice\bin is in the path. Must be something silly but... Any ideas?

Thanks for the help...
achessel

Re: Upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 on windows

Postby Dominik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am

Hi,

I'm not sure yet what the problem might be, but I'll try to replicate the update process on a Windows VM, will let you know later, if I can find out something useful.

Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby achessel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for the help... Although it could be something wrong in my setup/configuration hard to replicate; I am just not sure what to test...
achessel

Postby Dominik » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 am

Hi again,

I just tried a server upgrade from 5.0.0 to 5.2.7 following the server upgrade doc: http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/supp ... grade.html
Didn't experience any problems.

The 5.0.0 was a standard installation, with the OMERO server in C:\OMERO.server.

The difference to your upgrade process was, that I renamed the old installation in C:\OMERO.server to C:\OMERO.server.old and copied the OMERO.server-5.2.7 to C:\OMERO.server, so that new server is in the same directory like the old one was before (as the upgrade documentation suggests). Additionally I saved the old server configuration beforehand with
C:/OMERO.server/bin> omero config get > c:\server_config.properties

and restored it afterwards with:
C:/OMERO.server/bin> omero config load c:\server_config.properties

Can you try to do that? I think the problem might be, that you're trying to start your new server from a different location than the old server.

Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby achessel » Wed May 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi

thanks for the tips.
I could not really try it as I would have had to reinstall ice3.4 and revert various other changes of psql and python and whatnot, which I did not had the courage to do. But I copied the etc/grid/config.xml, which should have the all the necessary config, as said in the doc. Another config file and/or parameter which could be of use? I tried to go through the various config files I could find for a path which would be wrong but no chance so far. Maybe a path which should be read/writeable and is not?

I tried by going for 3.5 as provided compiled against python 2.7 by ome (before I used 3.6 from zeroc and the zeroc-ice pyhon package from pip), but no changes.

One question: the machine is isolated and do not have a direct access to the outside world (ie internet), would that be an issue?

thanks again
A.
achessel

Postby jmoore » Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am

achessel wrote:But I copied the etc/grid/config.xml, which should have the all the necessary config, as said in the doc.

Did you also try the get > properties && load < properties suggestion from Dom? There might be some formatting issue between the various versions in copying the file directly.

Another config file and/or parameter which could be of use? I tried to go through the various config files I could find for a path which would be wrong but no chance so far. Maybe a path which should be read/writeable and is not?

Not that I can think of off-hand. Did you make any modifications to the XML files in your original installation?

I tried by going for 3.5 as provided compiled against python 2.7 by ome (before I used 3.6 from zeroc and the zeroc-ice pyhon package from pip), but no changes.

i.e. you're stilling having the behavior shown in your first post? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8240#p18029

One question: the machine is isolated and do not have a direct access to the outside world (ie internet), would that be an issue?

There shouldn't be a need, but certainly something unexpected could be happening. Do you have the "jstack" command available? If so, you could get a stack trace for the server process after startup in order to see if it's hanging due to networking issues.

~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Return to Installation and Deployment