We're Hiring!

User Training Session - Will it be helpful for a dev/admin?

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

User Training Session - Will it be helpful for a dev/admin?

Postby jhay » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am

Hi all,

I am seeking advice from more experienced members of the OMERO community on whether the upcoming training session on April 8th/9th would be useful for myself as a non end user? I am working on a plugin for OMERO server that enables the transfer of datasets and images from one OMERO instance to another, so my primary interests are in the plugin Python API and the server administration aspects. Having said that, development of the plugin and defining a sensible standard operating procedure for using it are dependent on a good understanding of how end users typically interact with OMERO, so I think the user training session could be useful for me from this perspective. Examples of the types of topics/questions I am interested in are:

1. Best practices for setting up an OMERO instance as a public repository for publishing datasets
2. Best practices and techniques for using the plugin Python API to migrate data and as much metadata (e.g. tags, KVPs and ROIs) as possible between OMERO instances
3. Possible solutions to facilitate secure encrypted communication (SSL) between OMERO instances
4. Typical user workflows and standard practices for submitting, organising, managing and controlling access to OMERO datasets/projects
5. Ideas for potential methods to reduce friction in the data migration procedure

I hope to hear back from experienced people in the OMERO community here on whether it is worthwhile for me to attend the workshop in April - many thanks in advance.

Best,

Johnny
Mr Johnny Hay
Applications Consultant in Data Science
EPCC - University of Edinburgh
2.3 Bayes Centre, 47 Potterrow, Edinburgh, EH8 9BT, UK
jhay

Re: User Training Session - Will it be helpful for a dev/adm

Postby jmoore » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am

Hi Johnny,

Other developers who have also sat in on our user workshops may have had different experiences, but I find watching users interact with OMERO gives an idea of what questions they might ask, what difficulties they typically run into, and what automation they would appreciate. That being said, more workshops are on the horizon.

All the best,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Re: User Training Session - Will it be helpful for a dev/adm

Postby jhay » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for the reply and view on this. It does sound like a very useful exercise to be able to watch users interact with OMERO, and having the ability to communicate with them directly about workflows and automation would be very helpful too. I definitely want to attend the developer and maybe devops workshops, but it's likely that I will have completed the current OMERO project I am working on before they are scheduled. I shall probably register for the workshop in April because it could be a good opportunity for the reasons you mention. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Johnny
Mr Johnny Hay
Applications Consultant in Data Science
EPCC - University of Edinburgh
2.3 Bayes Centre, 47 Potterrow, Edinburgh, EH8 9BT, UK
jhay

Return to Developer Discussion