We're Hiring!

Opening downsampled version of files programmatically

Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats
Please note:
Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats

If you are having trouble with image files, there is information about reporting bugs in the Bio-Formats documentation. Please send us the data and let us know what version of Bio-Formats you are using. For issues with your code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Opening downsampled version of files programmatically

Postby Oli » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering how one goes around in IJ macro, Java or Beanshell to open a say 4x downsampled version of a given file (In this case a .czi)

The question being is there a way currently in bioformats to only read one pixel out of 4 in X Y and Z?

Thanks for any info and have a great weekend!

Oli
Oli

Re: Opening downsampled version of files programmatically

Postby sbesson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Oli,

there is no generic way to achieve what you described directly via Bio-Formats i.e. calling openBytes() to return a downsampled X-Y plane. The only exception to this statement is the case of some pyramid file formats where downsampled images are also stored alongside the high-resolution raw data and can be read directly via openBytes().

Otherwise, you might want to direct your question directly to other communities like ImageJ and see if solutions have been implemented.

Best,
Sebastien
sbesson
Team Member

Postby Oli » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:17 am

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you for the information. I'll go stirr up the imageJ community for further hints, though this leads to a subsidiary question:

The only exception to this statement is the case of some pyramid file formats where downsampled images are also stored alongside the high-resolution raw data and can be read directly via openBytes().

Would the Zeiss CZI format fall within this category?

Best

Oli
Oli

Postby sbesson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Oli,

as far as I can tell, the Zeiss CZI reader does not read multiple levels of resolutions from the Zeiss CZI file format.

We are currently working on a documentation change in order to better expose which file formats store images at multiple resolutions in our supported formats page.

Best,
Sebastien
sbesson
Team Member

Return to User Discussion [Legacy]