We're Hiring!

Log level / verbosity

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Log level / verbosity

Postby ehrenfeu » Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 am

Hi,

we're experiencing a very fast growth of OMERO's logfiles, even though the system is not (yet) under heavy usage. For example, the current Blitz-0.log is approx. 10 days old and already 200 MB large.

I did a quick check which categories are the chattiest ones:
Code: Select all
   1025        ome.logic.JavaImageScalingService
   1132     ome.security.basic.BasicEventContext
   3045                ome.services.ThumbnailCtx
   4583  ome.services.blitz.fire.SessionManagerI
   5040                 ome.io.nio.PixelsService
   5843           omeis.providers.re.HSBStrategy
   7557                       omero.cmd.SessionI
  12546 ome.services.sessions.state.SessionCache
  40945        ome.security.basic.CurrentDetails
  47331              omeis.providers.re.Renderer
  96201              ome.io.nio.RomioPixelBuffer
178147          ome.security.basic.EventHandler
291255                  org.perf4j.TimingLogger
725537         ome.services.util.ServiceHandler

Checking the forum and the wiki docs, I didn't find anything about how to decrease the verbosity on a production-like system. So my next step would be to add new entries (or adjust existing ones) for at least the most verbose categories from above to the logging configuration in etc/log4j.xml - or do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers
~Niko
ehrenfeu

Re: Log level / verbosity

Postby cxallan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

That's exactly how you modify the verbosity. The file is read periodically during runtime so changing logging verbosity either up or down does not require a server restart.
cxallan
Site Admin

Postby ehrenfeu » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 am

Yep, I've figured that out for the periodic reading from the comments in the file :)

Is there a common set of rules that has proven reasonable on a production machine? Otherwise I'll just filter out the stuff producing the most messages and re-enable them as needed...
ehrenfeu

Postby cxallan » Wed May 30, 2012 12:46 pm

The reason why those are the defaults is that the OMERO team considers those reasonable for most users. It helps us extensively with debugging a lot of problems without users having to fiddle around with logging levels. We regularly use even more verbose logging configurations in "production" as the benefits of ad hoc debugging, as far as we're concerned, vastly outweigh the storage costs. So, if what's there is not working for you I'd just filter out what you feel you need to.
cxallan
Site Admin

Postby jmoore » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd just add that if you have an issue and you send us a log file without ome.security.basic.EventHandler it will be the first thing I get you to change. :)

org.perf4j, on the other hand, is far less used (though interesting sometimes to look back at historically)

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby ehrenfeu » Wed May 30, 2012 1:18 pm

cxallan wrote:The reason why those are the defaults is that the OMERO team considers those reasonable for most users. It helps us extensively with debugging a lot of problems without users having to fiddle around with logging levels. We regularly use even more verbose logging configurations in "production" as the benefits of ad hoc debugging, as far as we're concerned, vastly outweigh the storage costs. So, if what's there is not working for you I'd just filter out what you feel you need to.

Well, I'm fine either way. It's not a real storage costs issue (some hundred megabytes of logfiles probably disappear in the overall accounting for everyone running a real image database anyway), I was just curious if this is a bug in our configuration and if the logfiles are a bit more handy in the common scenario... ;)
ehrenfeu

Postby ehrenfeu » Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 pm

jmoore wrote:I'd just add that if you have an issue and you send us a log file without ome.security.basic.EventHandler it will be the first thing I get you to change. :)

org.perf4j, on the other hand, is far less used (though interesting sometimes to look back at historically)

Cheers,
~Josh

Well, I guess we'll stick to the default settings then :D

As long as I don't have to open them in some stupid editor, I don't care too much about their size 8-)

Thanks Chris & Josh for your help!
~Niko
ehrenfeu

Postby cxallan » Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 pm

ehrenfeu wrote:
jmoore wrote:I'd just add that if you have an issue and you send us a log file without ome.security.basic.EventHandler it will be the first thing I get you to change. :)

Cheers,
~Josh

Well, I guess we'll stick to the default settings then :D

As long as I don't have to open them in some stupid editor, I don't care too much about their size 8-)

Thanks Chris & Josh for your help!
~Niko

No problem at all.
cxallan
Site Admin

Postby kennethgillen » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 pm

For anyone coming across this thread from 2014 onwards, editing OMERO-DIST/etc/logback.xml can alter the server's log level.

Best,

Kenny
kennethgillen

Return to Installation and Deployment