We're Hiring!

omero demonstration on a win7 64bit laptop

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

omero demonstration on a win7 64bit laptop

Postby Javier » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:44 am

Hello,

I am trying to install OMERO 4.1.1 server on a laptop running win7 64bit for demonstration purposes.

Everything went fine until I run c:\bin\omero admin start (see image):
1.PNG
1.PNG (18.88 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

This is what I get after running omero admin diagnostics:
2.PNG
2.PNG (36.11 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

I just want to have a running non-production server that can be used to show the features of the omero platform without using a network connection.

Anyone could help?

Thanks, Javier
Javier

Re: omero demonstration on a win7 64bit laptop

Postby Javier » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi,

I've made some progress. I found out that postgresql was not running as a service under W7.

As suggested in the postgresql wiki, the problem is solved by disabling UAC (user account control). In W7, this means moving all the way down the slider in the UAC window and then reboot.

Before that, I had uninstalled postgresql, deleted the user postgres (>net user postgres /delete), activated the user "Administrator" (>net user Administrator /active:yes), rebooted W7 and reinstalled and configured Postgresql 8.3 again.

Now, I am stuck with Web server (django) timeouts. After an initial successful start, which allowed me to add new users with the http.//127.0.0.1:8000/webadmin interface, the server stopped (or disabled) and cannot start it again:
>>> server start Web
error: the server didn't start successfully:
The server activation timed out.
>>>

I will try to see what happens after reboot.

Javier
Javier

Postby Javier » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 am

Hi again,

I finally succeded with the local installation.

I did not realize in my last post that the error message during omero server startup was to be expected (as documented in the manual). The problem was finally solved when I touched the firewall configuration of Kaspersky and allowed port 4063. In this way I could access omero not only through the web browser but also with the java clients.

I will be pleased to provide more detailed info of my settings (and troubles) if anyone is interested.

I think I am going now for a walk!

Javier
Javier

Postby cxallan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Congrats. :D

The biggest problem with both Windows Vista and Windows 7 is that UAC prevents the usage of sc.exe, which we use to create, destroy and work with the Windows service system. We just haven't had enough time to work around the issue.
cxallan
Site Admin

Return to Installation and Deployment