We're Hiring!

OMERO.insight doesn't run

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

OMERO.insight doesn't run

Postby dballvt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I've installed OMERO.server 4.1.0 in OpenSuSE 11.0. I'm trying to run the client from the same machine, so I downloaded the clients (also 4.1.0), but when I double click on OMEROinsight_unix.sh, nothing happens. The same is true for OMEROeditor_unix.sh, and importer-cli. I've double-checked and they are all executable. Do I need to configure them somehow? I have Java 1.6.0 installed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and let me know if there's any other information that would be useful.

Regards,
Dave
dballvt

Re: OMERO.insight doesn't run

Postby jmoore » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Dave,

You shouldn't need to do any configuration. Could you try opening a console, going to the 4.1.0 download directory, and running the shell scripts manually:
Code: Select all
./OMEROinsight_unix.sh

If an error message is printed to the console, that may help us further. You may also want to check in "~/omero/log" to see if any of the clients logged an error message to file.

Thanks,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby dballvt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm

It opens when I run the script directly from the console, but now there's a new problem: I can't connect to the database. I tried using 'localhost', and the DNS name for the server address, and neither work. I'm using the username and password that are listed in the output from 'bin/omero config get'. Could there be an issue with the firewall even if I'm trying to connect to the database locally?

I don't see any errors in the Blitz-0.log (there are a couple of warnings, 1 about upgrading, and the other that says 'Prefs file moved in background /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/prefs.xml'). That second warning is also in Indexer-0.log, but none of the other log files show any warnings or errors.

Some other notes: I haven't yet installed OMERO.web because I assume that is only necessary for the web interface. Is that correct?
I also had to manually create the DropBox folder in /OMERO. Could this be a problem?

Thanks!
-Dave
dballvt

Postby jmoore » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Dave,

The passwords from "bin/omero config get" are for connecting to PostgreSQL. You need the root administrator password that you created during "bin/omero db script". You might take a look at "Which password do I use where?" of our Troubleshooting page for more clarification:

https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/troubleshooting#section-3

For your other points:
  • You're correct; OMERO.web is only required to have the webpage running.
  • You shouldn't have to create "DropBox/". Were you getting an error?
  • The prefs.xml issue is known and nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps. Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby dballvt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I had read that section, but I guess I misunderstood it. Anyway, now it seems to be working. Thanks so much for your help!

About the DropBox folder, I was a getting an error in the DropBox.log, that the folder didn't exist. After I manually added it, I realized that there were other errors indicating that some dependencies were missing.

Thanks again!
-Dave
dballvt

Return to Installation and Deployment