We're Hiring!

OMERO.web on windows server

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

OMERO.web on windows server

Postby achessel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 pm

hi all...

I am running an omero server on a windows server 2008 machine. OMERO itself is workng fine, but I can't start omero.web. I think I followed the setup correctly (installing IIS7, enabling IIS6 + ISAPI WSGI, etc), until

Code: Select all
PS > .\bin\omero web syncmedia
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\bin\\omero", line 123, in <module>
    rv = omero.cli.argv()
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 1151, in argv
    cli.invoke(args[1:])
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 704, in invoke
    stop = self.onecmd(line, previous_args)
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 773, in onecmd
    self.execute(line, previous_args)
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 853, in execute
    args.func(args)
  File "C:\Users\omero\Desktop\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\lib\python\omero\plugins\web.py", line 190, in syncmedia
    os.remove(os.path.abspath(location / 'media' / app))
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\omero\\Desktop\\OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.2\\lib\\python\\omeroweb\\media\\webgateway'

I tried on an elevated (admin) prompt and giving access to that folder to everybody without success. Trying to access http://localhost/webadmin gives me a 401.3 Error: 'HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized You do not have permission to view this directory or page because of the access control list (ACL) configuration or encryption settings for this resource on the Web server. ' (got a 401 trying to connect from a distant machine too).

[fake edit]Ha, but setting the whole of the OMERO.server folder open to everyone r/w seems to do the trick and OMERO.web is working (although only a few of the thumbnail are loading?). But that would be bad, I guess 'syncmedia' is to remedy to that...

Anyway, any help is appreciated...
achessel

Re: OMERO.web on windows server

Postby cxallan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm

The Windows permissions there certainly are tricky and while I wrote the documentation and tested the IIS7 implementation I don't presume to be an expert. I haven't deployed on Windows Server 2008, all the tests were done with Windows Vista. I do know that the IIS (the actual Windows account name escapes me) must have read, write and execute permissions to at least the directories in question (otherwise all hell will break loose there when trying to execute Python code and the ISAPI wrapper).
cxallan
Site Admin

Return to Installation and Deployment