We're Hiring!

Change Password does not work for users in system group

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Change Password does not work for users in system group

Postby eberleia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am

Hi,

when I enter a new user and set the password, I am not able to change the original password even as root.

The first message I receive is "Password changed.", but afterwards I get the message "The password could not be reset for the following experimenters: ...".

The password change can only be modified by the user himself. Entering the old password and then twice the new password. Unfortunately this option does not exist for a person which is in the system group.

Is this as expected or is there some installation issue behind? How to proceed when the user has forgotted the password or when being part of the system group?

Thanks,
Andreas
eberleia

Re: Change Password does not work for users in system group

Postby mtbc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 am

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I tried in our latest development version of OMERO having root change the passwords of both a non-admin and an admin user, in OMERO.web, and that worked fine. I'd thus be most grateful if you could tell us more about your set-up: which versions of OMERO.server and client you are using, which client you are using (OMERO.insight?), and an example scenario where you see a problem, and we can try to reproduce it. If we then still can't figure it out then we may have to ask you to also upload your Blitz-0.log file from your server.

Cheers,
Mark
mtbc
Team Member

Postby eberleia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi,

we are using the version 4.4.10 for both server (RedHat linux) and on the client (windows). Yes, we are using the insight_64 bit client.

To change the password is working when you modify your own password (entering the old one once and the new one twice in the dialog).

What does not work if I would like to reset the password for another person as administrator. In this case I have to enter just the new assword. The first message is "Password changed", but when I press the OK button another messages comes up sBliaying: "The password could not be reset for the following experimenters: <my name>".

In the Blitz log I cannot find any entry, only in teh first case I described working successfully.

Thanks,
Andreas
eberleia

Postby mtbc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:06 am

Andreas, thank you very much for your report. The password changing seems to work from OMERO.web but not from OMERO.insight. I have filed a bug accordingly at http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12054. If you wish to receive e-mail when the status of the bug is updated, let me know and I will add you to the cc: field of the ticket.

Cheers,
Mark
mtbc
Team Member

Return to Installation and Deployment