We're Hiring!

Syncmedia Access error Win 7

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Syncmedia Access error Win 7

Postby rapa » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 am

Hello all,

I am now through with the basic development installation which workes on localhost under Windows 7 Pro.Thus done I started with setting up Web on production. Everything went sort of smooth. I can access via the webadmin and -client and also via firefox browser.
Only if I do th eweb syncmedia I get a bunch of error messages about access denied problems.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Omero_dist>bin\omero web syncmedia
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Omero_dist\bin\\omero", line 123, in <module>
rv = omero.cli.argv()
File "c:\Omero_dist\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 1172, in argv
cli.invoke(args[1:])
File "c:\Omero_dist\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 722, in invoke
stop = self.onecmd(line, previous_args)
File "c:\Omero_dist\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 791, in onecmd
self.execute(line, previous_args)
File "c:\Omero_dist\lib\python\omero\cli.py", line 871, in execute
args.func(args)
File "C:\Omero_dist\lib\python\omero\plugins\web.py", line 211, in syncmedia
os.remove(os.path.abspath(location / 'media' / app))
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access denied: u'C:\\Omero_dist\\lib\\python\\omero
web\\media\\webgateway'

Can anyone be of help, as I cant fix that problem.

Cheers Ralf
rapa

Re: Syncmedia Access error Win 7

Postby jmoore » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 am

Hi Ralf,

Did you possibly create that directory with an administrator console so the directory doesn't belong to you? In that case, you'll need to make sure that you run syncmedia with the same access privilieges.

Otherwise, can you run syncmedia after stopping OMERO.web and OMERO.server? Perhaps a process as a lock on it.

~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby rapa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi Josh,

sorry it took so much time to come back. I have checked permissions and they are about the same. Having stopped the services does not change anything.
But looking at the properties of the c:/omero_dist tree I found that the box "Write protected" is grey, which means some files or subfolders are and some are not write protected. Itried to unlock that, but when I check again properties its back again. Even though it tells me after change everything is fine... :-(
Any guessings or suggestions?

Ralf
rapa

Postby sylittlewood » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 am

Hi Ralf,

I've looked at installing omero on Windows 7 and managed to get a working instance following the instructions here (https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/sup ... ll-windows) using the 'development' python hosted web server.

If you are using IIS to host the web application have you tried following the instructions here?: https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/sup ... #section-6

If you are using another web server then let us know so we can see if we can recreate the issue.

It may be that you need to explicitly edit the folder security permissions on the Security Tab of the folder properties if it is a file access issue.

Regards,

Scott
sylittlewood

Postby sylittlewood » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Ralf,

I managed to recreate the issue, it seems to only happen when the media directory used by the web apps has already been populated with the required javascript, styles and images from the various locations.

This can happen when you have already run bin\omero web syncmedia so you should have a working system if the files already exist. You should only have to run syncmedia once before starting the server for the first time.

In the future the web team are looking at removing the need for this step to help ease installation and avoid confusion.

Scott
sylittlewood

Postby rapa » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Scott,

only just to get it right. I don't have to call "web syncmedia" once that folder is populated? That's great news, for I really was digging deep into windows rights and permissions and felt I had tried every single hint on that toopic...
Thank you very much for the effort all of you have put into this to help me solve this issue! I will then proceed from here.

Cheers,

Ralf
rapa

Return to Installation and Deployment