We're Hiring!

logging in to omero server vm from guest vm

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

logging in to omero server vm from guest vm

Postby ebbwdan » Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 am

Hi

Apologies if this a dumb question!

I have installed an Omero server virtual appliance and am testing some Java code which is running on a Win7 virtual appliance on the same host machine (mac). I am testing my connection to the Omero server vm using Insight running on the Win7 vm. So I am trying to connect between two guest vm's (one omero server and one win7 vm) on the same host (mac). I have set the network adapter to internal for both guests but neither localhost or an IP of 10.0.2.15 (with credentials --> username: root, pw: omero) gets me in through the Insight client.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved!

Cheers

Dan
ebbwdan

Re: logging in to omero server vm from guest vm

Postby kennethgillen » Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Dan,

Not dumb at all - no worries. Is this VirtualBox (assuming it is, since you mention 10.0.2.15 and the OMERO appliance) ?

Running both VMs on the same 'internal' network will work if both VMs are configured with static IP configurations, on the same subnet, and if the internal network name is the same.

VirtualBox defaults the internal network name to 'intnet' - so I'd check that first, just to be sure. If both are on 'intnet' then proceed to configure their NICs for static IPs e.g:

So for both machines i'd set up:

ip (machine 1): 192.168.1.10
ip (machine 2): 192.168.1.11
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway and DNS servers can be ignored and left blank.

Make sure they can ping each other, from the terminal and windows command shell.

Once they can both ping each other, you can configure your Insight client to connect to the static IP of the OMERO server you've allocated.

There are other options, but I'd suggest trying this. Just make sure that the machines are both set up for a static IP that you manually assign.

Best,

Kenny
kennethgillen

Return to Developer Discussion