We're Hiring!

webclient temp directory

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

webclient temp directory

Postby ehrenfeu » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 am

Dear all,

we recently saw a very strange behaviour of the webclient on our OMERO 4.4.9 installation. First thing we noticed was that it sometimes took up to 20 force-reload attempts in the browser (no matter which one, or which OS) until the webclient was actually displayed. Other than that it seemed to work fine, only after a few weeks I realized that the data of one of our test users was presented in a state as it was several months ago. Using Insight I was able to see the current data of this user.

That finally pointed me into the right direction and I found the reason for the above issues: during the last upgrade (4.4.5 to 4.4.9) somehow the temp directory configured in nginx for the OMERO webclient got lost. After recreating it and restarting nginx, all the issues were gone.

I've been particularly surprised by the fact that the webclient did show user data, but presented a state that it had months ago. So apparently there is some caching happening somewhere outside the (at that point non-existing) temp directory. Would it be possible to check for existence of the temp directory from within OMERO's code to prevent such out-of-sync situations for other users in the future?

Cheers
Niko
ehrenfeu

Re: webclient temp directory

Postby atarkowska » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi Niko,

By default OMERO.web shouldn't cache any data, although your webbrowser or as you pointed nginx might do it for you. Could you send us your nginx config and output of bin/omero config get?

Ola
atarkowska

Postby ehrenfeu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Ola,

the files are attached to this posting. I have to say it's a bit annoying that not even ".txt" files are allowed for attachments here (and no hint is given which extensions are accepted) :(

Please note that I stripped sensitive stuff, the LDAP and email sections from the OMERO config output, and I replaced the hostname in all files by "our.omero.fqdn".

Many thanks,
Niko
Attachments
omero_nginx_conf.zip
/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf
/etc/nginx/conf.d/omero_ssl.conf
bin/omero config get
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
ehrenfeu

Postby manics » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Niko

I can't see anything obvious in your nginx config. Do you still have the OMERO.server logs for your old and upgraded installations? If so would you be willing to zip them up and upload them to our QA system https://www.openmicroscopy.org/qa2/qa/upload/ so we can take a look at them? If you also have your system nginx logs (/var/log/nginx) available that could be useful too.

Many thanks

Simon
manics
Team Member

Postby ehrenfeu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Simon,

which files would you need there? The "Blitz-0" logfiles are too big, they only go back until mid January due to logrotation. The "Processor-0" logs still exist from last September.

Cheers,
Niko
ehrenfeu

Postby manics » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Niko

Ideally we'd like all your logs, especially the Blitz and OMEROweb ones. They're plain text so should zip up into a reasonably small archive.

Simon
manics
Team Member

Postby ehrenfeu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am

Hi Simon,

I've uploaded them in the 7z format: https://www.openmicroscopy.org/qa2/qa/f ... 979b66420d

BTW, how can I reset my OMERO.qa password?

Cheers
Niko
ehrenfeu

Postby atarkowska » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am

Hi Niko,

I will send you private message how to change password.

Ola
atarkowska

Postby bpindelski » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 am

Hi Niko,

I had a look at the supplied log files and configuration values and, as Ola mentioned, nothing stands out as a cause for the behaviour you were experiencing. The only other place that I can think of responsible for caching would be the Django cache (set by omero.web.cache_backend) - but your settings file doesn't have that set, so by default it is switched off.

If you encounter this behaviour again, please let us know and we will again try to grok the log files for any anomalies.

Regards,
Blazej
bpindelski

Postby ehrenfeu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks Blazej, I will keep an eye on this. As I said, it only happened while the configured temp-directory of nginx was missing. But back then even restarting ngingx and/or the OMERO services didn't change anything.

Thanks again,
~Niko
ehrenfeu

Return to Developer Discussion