We're Hiring!

Public OMERO.tables file

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Public OMERO.tables file

Postby lucalianas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi everyone,
in our OMERO.biobank system we use OMERO.tables to build a clinical repository shared among all the users of the system. To do so we create a table and move its OriginalFile to the common space in order to make the file available for everyone; this approach works when users want to read data but when a user that doesn't belong to the group of the user that created the table tries to write some data we get an omero.SecurityViolation exception with the message

Code: Select all
{
    serverStackTrace = Current user cannot write to file 116317
    serverExceptionClass =
    message =
}

I found in the forum an old discussion that describes an identical problem (see http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=918); in one message of the thread Josh suggested to use a "shared" group and to link to this group all the users that should have a write privilege over the table (and, of course, tables must be created by a user belonging to this group).
Is this the only solution available or, with OMERO 4.4, can I grant a public write access for files that stores Tables data?
Thanks!
lucalianas

Re: Public OMERO.tables file

Postby manics » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Luca

At present you'll have to create a group containing all the users who should have write access to the table. However we're currently looking at expanding our range of group permissions, so hopefully we'll have something for you soon.
manics
Team Member

Postby lucalianas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Simon

yesterday I tried what you suggested but I wasn't able to write the file as well because I was using a "read-annotate" group, I changed the group permissions from "rwra--" to "rwrw--" and everything started working fine. I also tried to create two separated groups with "rwrw--" privileges, the first one with the user who created the tables and with privileges of owner of the group as well and the second one with a simple user. I created the table in group1 and moved it to the common space then I tried using the user in group2 to read and write data from\to the OMERO.table and in worked as well! It seem that the trick was to set the permission of the group of the user who created the table to "rwrw--".
I know that this is not one of OMERO's default permissions and what I did was a dirty trick, but we love to get our hand dirty when playing with OMERO.biobank here at CRS4 :mrgreen:
Thanks for the help.

Luca
lucalianas

Postby manics » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Luca

I'm glad you found something that worked. Proper support for rwrw groups is one of the things we're considering for a future release, so it's useful to hear of your use-case.

Simon
manics
Team Member

Return to Developer Discussion