We're Hiring!

iPad client development possible?

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

iPad client development possible?

Postby apocryphx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 am

I am wondering if it might be possible to write a native iOS client for OMERO.
Conceptually I would use ICE touch and compile the .ice files (under components/blitz/resources/omero) into Obj-C. Then I would use the generated files to perform remote communication with the OMERO server. Is there any general reason why this approach would not work? I am new to ICE and the OMERO API.
apocryphx

Re: iPad client development possible?

Postby jmoore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 am

Conceptually, it should certainly work, and we'd love to see the results. There are definitely gotchas though. Because of the complexity of the model objects, we've added methods to the slice definitions which force all the generated classes to be abstract. We have a second layer of code-generation which produces concrete subclasses of these abstract types. That would need to be done for Obj-C as well.

I'll let someone else comment on the specifics, but at the moment, we're trying to generally improve the mobile experience of OMERO.web. Do you think that would be another route?

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Re: iPad client development possible?

Postby wmoore » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

I don't know much about iOS apps, but presumably they could work from web services? This would allow you to extend the existing OMERO.web Python/Django framework to provide the data and images you want from OMERO, without having to compile ICE / Obj-C.
wmoore
Team Member

Return to Developer Discussion