We're Hiring!

Metadata in OME-XML format

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Metadata in OME-XML format

Postby chriswood » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi,

A colleague of mine has written some code to extract the xml metadata header from ome-tiff files. He is able to parse the xml and get the data that he needs.

He would like to store the images in omero and be able to just grab the ome-xml metadata from the server (returned as a String). I haven't found a way to get this - does anyone know if this is a possible?

Thanks,
Chris
chriswood

Re: Metadata in OME-XML format

Postby jmoore » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi Chris,

sorry, but I think at the moment this isn't possible directly via the API. The possibilities that exist include:

• Download the whole image via the API and extract
  • Use the API to obtain the OME-XML that the server sees (varies from what's in the file)
  • Write a script to extract remotely.

Let us know if we can help with any of the three.

In addition, I think adding an API method to obtain the original OME-XML would make sense. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby chriswood » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply.
What part of the API should I look at to get the OME-XML the server sees?

Also, I noticed that if exporting an OME-TIFF of an image (original is a Zeiss lsm) that the original metadata is not included in the OME-TIFF (it's not shown in the BioFormats window when opening in Fiji). Is that something I could request an enhancement for.

Thanks
Chris
chriswood

Postby jmoore » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Chris,

chriswood wrote:Thanks for the reply.
What part of the API should I look at to get the OME-XML the server sees?

One starting point would be the CLI:
Code: Select all
bin/omero export --file - --type XML Image:38884

which eventually uses the Exporter service.

Also, I noticed that if exporting an OME-TIFF of an image (original is a Zeiss lsm) that the original metadata is not included in the OME-TIFF (it's not shown in the BioFormats window when opening in Fiji). Is that something I could request an enhancement for.

Definitely. Export is something that we hope to have improved for the next major release (5.1.0).

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Return to Developer Discussion