We're Hiring!

JVM options previously defined in templates.xml

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

JVM options previously defined in templates.xml

Postby rpoehlmann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 am

When updating our OMERO from version 5.0.2 to 5.0.5, I realized that JVM options previously configured in OMERO_HOME/etc/grid/templates.xml apparently have been integrated now into the general config file since I can no longer see them in "templates.xml"

E.g., for the BlitzTemplate, we had altered:
- Xmx2048M
- MaxPermSize=256M

I now put those into the general config file as:
- omero.jvmcfg.heap_size=2g
- omero.jvmcfg.perm_gen=256M

Is this correct? Are they now configured generally and no longer per server-template?
Additionally, in 5.0.2 we had increased "Xmx1024M" in the PixelDataTemplate server-options to allow for larger file uploads. Is this obsolete now? Or where should I put it instead?

Thanks a lot, regards,
-Rainer
rpoehlmann

Re: JVM options previously defined in templates.xml

Postby sbesson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:38 am

Hi Rainer,

you are absolutely correct. The management of the JVM memory settings has been modified as part of the 5.0.3 release. The memory settings should now be modified like other server properties via bin/omero config set and retained under config.xml. This should hopefully simplify the OMERO.server upgrade as well as the migration to new hardware.

Generally, the documentation for the new memory settings is available under this section of the OMERO5 documentation.

The management of the memory settings should now be using a PercentStrategy by default where the percent of memory for each service can be configured via:

Code: Select all
$ bin/omero config set omero.jvmcfg.percent.<service> <percent>

Alternatively, you can rollback to a ManualStrategy and configure the memory settings of each service explicitly.

Note that for each configuration modification, you can always review the generated memory settings using:

Code: Select all
$ bin/omero admin jvmcfg

Please let us know if anything is unclear in the documentation,
Sebastien
sbesson
Team Member

Re: JVM options previously defined in templates.xml

Postby rpoehlmann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification.
I missed this part in the documentation. But, most likely I did not carefully enough looked for it ;)

Thanks & regards,
-Rainer
rpoehlmann

Return to Developer Discussion