We're Hiring!

time out?

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

time out?

Postby bhcho » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi all,

From OMERO.web, I ran feature calculation on images under a dataset, which might take over serveral minutes. In this case, I know the feature calculation itself was done correctly, but after that, it does not refresh (or display) the template html file for the results.
I know it refreshes properly If the feature calculation process is done quickly (when there is no need to do the feature calculation).

Is there any regulation about the processing time (or time out) for a function in views.py?
if so, how can i extend it?

bk
bhcho

Re: time out?

Postby cxallan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 pm

bhcho wrote:Hi all,

From OMERO.web, I ran feature calculation on images under a dataset, which might take over serveral minutes. In this case, I know the feature calculation itself was done correctly, but after that, it does not refresh (or display) the template html file for the results.
I know it refreshes properly If the feature calculation process is done quickly (when there is no need to do the feature calculation).

Is there any regulation about the processing time (or time out) for a function in views.py?
if so, how can i extend it?

bk

Off hand there are two timeouts that you could potentially be hitting:

• The Nginx or Apache gateway timeout (you'd likely get an error if this timeout was reached)
  • The browser's request timeout (you'd likely also get a "this server is not responding" or similar error if this timeout was reached)

The OMERO.web infrastructure itself should not terminate workers if they are running for a long time but the web browser timeouts are almost impossible to avoid. These timeouts are usually between 60-120 seconds and have to be changed in the browser.

If you have long running tasks you want to perform I'd advise you not to rely on just increasing these timeouts. You should perform the task in a way that does not require the browser, an OMERO.web worker or your web server (Apache or Nginx) to be blocked waiting on task for many minutes.
cxallan
Site Admin

Return to Developer Discussion