We're Hiring!

Querying Omero externally, minimal setup

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Querying Omero externally, minimal setup

Postby kverbist » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

I have recently installed an Omero instance on a remote Windows machine (Amazon AWS). This all works fine.

My next assignment is to be able to query this Omero instance from a multitude of Linux machines. I would like to be pointed in the right direction to set up a minimalistic program that will connect to Omero and perform a search within objects. I would like to accomplish this without having to also install the entire Omero Server and Ice packages on the Ubuntu machines.

Some questions I have:

1) Am I right in reading that in order to do this I must install both the entire Omero server and Ice on the Linux machines in order to be able to use the BlitzGateway implementation?

2) The Omero Insight clients are standalone I think, and do not need Omero Server or Ice installed on the machines that they run on. Is there a way that I can hook on to this and simply write a simple python client using the libs from Insight, in order to connect and query?

Thank you and regards,
KVerbist
kverbist

Re: Querying Omero externally, minimal setup

Postby jmoore » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am

Hi KVerbist,

kverbist wrote:1) Am I right in reading that in order to do this I must install both the entire Omero server and Ice on the Linux machines in order to be able to use the BlitzGateway implementation?

In order to make use of OMERO.py, you will definitely have to install both Ice and OMERO. You need not use the quite large server download but can instead use the OMERO.py download found under http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/latest/omero/#py as long as you aren't looking to perform imports.

2) The Omero Insight clients are standalone I think, and do not need Omero Server or Ice installed on the machines that they run on. Is there a way that I can hook on to this and simply write a simple python client using the libs from Insight, in order to connect and query?

Not that I know of (unless you're willing to use Jython). To write a Java-based application (whether Java, Jython, JRuby, etc.), you'll need all the jars under OMERO.insight's /libs directory on your CLASSPATH.

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Re: Querying Omero externally, minimal setup

Postby kverbist » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Hello jmoore,

Thanks for your anwer, it really helped and I managed to set this up really fast.

Regards,
KVerbist
kverbist

Return to Developer Discussion