Personal tools
  • We're Hiring!

You are here: Home Community Minutes Conference Calls 2011 2011-03-03 Thursday Meeting

2011-03-03 Thursday Meeting

Attending: Brian, Jason, Andrew, Scott, Chris, Will, Ola, Jean-Marie, Colin, Carlos

Agenda

Remember: Agenda must be complete (with estimated times) on the day before the meeting. Any additions after that must go at the bottom (AOCB)

  1. Accepting minutes from last meeting

  2. Matters Arising (<10 mins)

    • Jean-Marie: see pending items in last minutes
    • Chris: Needs to reduce emails coming from trac
    • Everyone: Review the email changes for ticket reminders from Josh, feedback welcome
    • Chris: Add 'recommended hardware' to FAQ
    • Everyone: Need to get things to Jerome no later then end of March
    • NEXT TUESDAY: Jerome feedback
    • Andrew: Reminder to bring camera to Jerome's event - Done - reminder added to calendar
    • Email Pending response: Shawn Garbett
  3. Mid-Sprint status

  4. Glencoe Update

  5. OME-XML changes for OME-TIFF companion

    • New extension? .ome.xml, .ome.tiff, (something).tiff and (something).xml
      • Partial tiff files (piece,portion, segment, section, part; chunk, lump, hunk, slice; fragment, scrap, shred, crumb, grain, speck; spot, drop, pinch, dash, soup├žon, modicum; morsel, mouthful, bite, sample; iota, jot, tittle, whit, atom, particle, trace, touch, hint, tinge; snippet, snatch, smidgen, tad)
      • Master xml metadata file (companion, associate, partner, escort, compatriot, confederate; friend, intimate, confidant, confidante, comrade; informal pal, chum, crony, sidekick, mate, buddy, amigo, compadre, attendant, aide, helper, assistant, valet, equerry, lady-in-waiting; chaperone; minder.)
  6. Email and Forum Review - checked at (5 mins)

    • Email -

      • Re: [ome-devel] Git repository housekeeping - (compressing & capped download speed?)
    • Forums -

    • QA -
      link

      ID  Status  User/email  Type    Created Selected file   Comment Error
      3621 to 3250    new harri.jaalin... Importer 4.2.2-r871 2011 03 02  ...--Y01--T0000--Z00--C00.ome.tif   Hello! I am trying to import ...    java.lang.NullPointerExce...
      3249    new ed@mechanoch... Insight 4.2.2   2011 03 01  -   Running makemovie script    java.lang.Exception: java...
      3239    new ben@biobus.o... Web 4.2.2-r871  2011 02 24  -   Is there a way to have a 'play...   -
      3237    new icaoberg@cmu... Web 4.1.1   2011 02 23  -   -   Content-Type: text/html ...
      3200    new m.wasowicz@i... Insight 4.2.2   2011 02 04  -   tagging images  java.lang.Exception: org....
      
      • Large number of entries in QA generated by a failed Screen import - group or limit?
  7. Any other business (<5 mins)

    • Simon Wells, new hire
    • Josh, Gianluigi visit March 7,8
    • Request for OME icon - "icon is a physical object that can be displayed on a 40cmx40cm, 1m high plinth"
      • Picture frame with hidden caption under lift flap
      • Odd looking object with collection of radically different captions, and a metadata matters caption.
      • Collection of old lab storage (CDs all labeled "microscope images", Paper lab notebooks, Gels, Post-it notes, photo, hand drawn annotations). A large "mound of stuff" with perhaps a question on the top: "Where was that image?"

In Attendance

Brian, Jason, Andrew, Scott, Chris, Will, Ola, Jean-Marie, Colin, Carlos

Notes

  1. Accepting minutes from last meeting

    • Accepted, Jerome is going to present again on Tuesday
    • Will: We have emails have a link to Jerome's wiki (look for email from 'don')
  2. Matters Arising (<10 mins)

    • Jean-Marie: see pending items in last minutes - DONE
    • Chris: Needs to reduce emails coming from trac - PENDING
    • Everyone: Review the email changes for ticket reminders from Josh, feedback welcome * Everyone seems happy with this now
    • Chris: Add 'recommended hardware' to FAQ - Replied to Chris, will update FAQ
    • Everyone: Need to get things to Jerome no later then end of March - DONE
    • NEXT TUESDAY: Jerome feedback - DONE
    • Andrew: Reminder to bring camera to Jerome's event - Done - reminder added to calendar
    • Email Pending response: Shawn Garbett - DONE
  3. Mid-Sprint status

    • Back up to 28 bug items now - need to be aware of this
      • Chris, Josh has a few assigned to them
      • Everyone else look through and get assigned according
      • Some of these are auto-named 'bugs' from qa, may need to be changed accordingly
    • Overview of where we are
      • Chris: Looks like we will be using existing rendering engine next week, so no zooming yet!
      • Jason: Suppose to have a list of things set up since last Thursday, still missing thumbnailing
      • Chris: End of this sprint won't have things talking to JP2000 yet
        • Jean-Marie: Donald will put up wiki page with details, and show JMB where code is
        • Chris + JMB will review things tomorrow mornings (FRIDAY)
      • Chris: Currently we are about 1/2 to a full sprint behind schedule
      • Ola will submit her new stuff tomorrow (FRIDAY)
      • Gretzky running trunk - Chris will update to latest new changes
      • Howe was running 4.2 (but isn't accessible)
      • Colin: Working on tests (which is working), now copying across raw pixel store work, working on hypercube stuff
        • Still a few things to clean up
      • Andrew: Still issues with GIT references, will probalby need hudson to do a checkout, and use that for references on the web
      • Brian: All shoola pages are moved over and references to docs changed to point to new pages on omero trac
        • OME-XML is next? Needs some discussion
        • Chris: will need to talk with BWL about what to dith include macro and GIT
      • Scott: Working on testing, lots of new tickets, going over insight.importer changes with JMB
        • Another week or so of feedback from scientists expected
        • Needs to talk to Iain about his script use
      • Will: Doing some work on the metadata panel with Ola, ID'd a bunch of things that need changing
      • Ola: We are currently working on big images using our own 'big images', but need some real data soon
        • Chris: facilities not quiet there yet, but coming
      • Jean-Marie: like with last sprint, we should add screenshots to the milestone page
      • Chris: Realistically we should not be adding new tasks to this sprint
      • Jason (RE: weekly emails): Highlighted a small number of tickets with no time, but a large number with no owner (non-assigned?)
        • Chris: I think there's a large number with no estimate
        • JMB: Moving the tickets accross sprints and breaking them down might have caused some of this
        • Jason: also some tickets that are repeatedly pushed
          • Chris: Some of these are mine (documentation one, web-public landing page extensions). Hopefully done this week
          • Jason: Still some tickets over a day (but seems to reflect what we are doing) Something to keep in mind
      • Melissa: 8 tickets in sprint, 4 done, 2 in progress. Working right now on block based jpeg imports.
      • Andrew: Handy, likes being on the ticketing system :)
  4. Glencoe Update

  5. OME-XML changes for OME-TIFF companion

    • Andrew: Is going to head and make tickets for this
      • Wondering about extensions? We are going to end up with 2 new types of files (braindead + companion). Do we need new extensions for this?
        • Chris: See things going in a direction where we have many kinds of ome file types. May want to avoid an extension perliferation
        • Andrew: would be nice to have people know what files they are clicking on. Chris: avoid encoding in file names
        • Brian: Seems like file naming would be a convenience, not a convention. Keep encoding internal to the files
        • Melissa: Agree with chris, keep extensions simple. People rename things all the time.
        • Jason: Most users don't know what extensions are/do. Better to provide tools that help them 'analyse' what the file is
        • Chris: by example, like iMagic goes through files and changing icons on companion files
  6. Email and Forum Review - checked at (5 mins)

    • Email -

      • Re: [ome-devel] Git repository housekeeping - (compressing & capped download speed?)- Andrew replied.
        • Chris: Some things do compress the repo. Nothing preventing us from doing more of this and GIT needs a 'defag'
    • Forums -

    • QA -
      link

      ID  Status  User/email  Type    Created Selected file   Comment Error
      3621 to 3250    new harri.jaalin... Importer 4.2.2-r871 2011 03 02  ...--Y01--T0000--Z00--C00.ome.tif   Hello! I am trying to import ...    java.lang.NullPointerExce... - QA cleaned up, Ticket created, emailed user
      3249    new ed@mechanoch... Insight 4.2.2   2011 03 01  -   Running makemovie script    java.lang.Exception: java... - JMB will have a look
      3239    new ben@biobus.o... Web 4.2.2-r871  2011 02 24  -   Is there a way to have a 'play...   - Can be closed
      3237    new icaoberg@cmu... Web 4.1.1   2011 02 23  -   -   Content-Type: text/html ... - Can be closed
      3200    new m.wasowicz@i... Insight 4.2.2   2011 02 04  -   tagging images  java.lang.Exception: org.... - JMB will check this
      
      • Large number of entries in QA generated by a failed Screen import - group or limit?
        • Suggested solutions:
          • Change django so it waits to send emails, so can catch spam emails and make it one email
          • Grouping QAs into a 'qa session'
          • Have client detect duplicates
  7. Any other business (<5 mins)

    • Hudson/Squig merge
      • Chris: Some changes happening downstairs which will require us to do this
      • Chris: Hudson currently running continuously - may need to move it to its own system
      • Chris: Lots of options on how the VMs and storage are working
        • If folks have requests, now is the time to speak up on this
        • Ola: Is there a reason that trunk components aren't built on Hudson?
          • Chris: Not sure, need to discuss with Josh
          • Chris: Could be related to insight issue: top job is picking up changes, children jobs are not
          • Chris: Starting to test new infestructure for storage in 2 weeks or so
          • Chris: Whether we move all hudson builds to VMs, not sure yet
    • Simon Wells, new hire
      • Jason: Coming in Monday
      • Jason: Readvertising again next week
    • Josh, Gianluigi visit March 7,8
      • Here next week (monday/tuesday) for some meetings
      • Some technical questions coming from this about storage of companion files
    • BBSRC innovator of the year finalist
      • Now shortlisted as 'social' innovator of the year
      • Request for OME icon - "icon is a physical object that can be displayed on a 40cmx40cm, 1m high plinth"
        • Picture frame with hidden caption under lift flap
        • Odd looking object with collection of radically different captions, and a metadata matters caption.
        • Collection of old lab storage (CDs all labeled "microscope images", Paper lab notebooks, Gels, Post-it notes, photo, hand drawn annotations). A large "mound of stuff" with perhaps a question on the top: "Where was that image?"
        • (Have until March 23rd to get something together)

Action Items

  • Jason: Fwd email with Jerome's wiki website + institutions
  • Chris: Markup for FAQ changes
  • Everyone: go through bugs, assign to yourself accordingly BY TOMORROW (FRIDAY)
  • JMB + Chris: Go over sprint roadmap TOMORROW (FRIDAY)
  • Andrew: exporting git for {cvs,svn}.o.org.uk
  • Chris: fixing include macro
  • Everyone (REMINDER): Screenshots of what we are doing and where we're at
  • Chris & Josh: 'defrag' GIT
  • Chris: respond to 'connot query LDAP' email - send 'ldap query' documentation
  • JMB: Check over qa ticket 3200
  • Changes coming to the infrastructure for hudson/squig/VMs, if you have requrests/changes, speak up!
Document Actions