We're Hiring!

Dimensions swapped with ND2 files, loci_tools 5.0.4

Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats
Please note:
Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats

If you are having trouble with image files, there is information about reporting bugs in the Bio-Formats documentation. Please send us the data and let us know what version of Bio-Formats you are using. For issues with your code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Dimensions swapped with ND2 files, loci_tools 5.0.4

Postby caspervdw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi all,

I am working with loci_tools.jar 5.0.4 to open my ND2 files. These are typically TCZ stacks.
Mostly this works perfectly fine, only somtimes dimensions get scrambled around. I already wrote a workaround for this, but it would be great if this would be solved in bioformats. The problem is as follows:

T stacks are saved as multipoints and Z is recognized as T stacks. For example, a 512x512x2x100x40 XYCTZ gets recognized as a collection of 512x512x2x40x1 files. The imagecount in the collection is 100 in this example. I use the loci.formats.meta.MetadataRetrieve functions to get these sizes.

Moreover, the frames are not distributed in the way you would expect. Normally you would expect 3D frame 1 to be in the first 80 frames (2x40), with channel 0 in the even frames and channel 1 in the odd frames. If you readout loci.formats.IFormatReader.getIndex(z,c,t), considering Z as T and T as MP, you get this behavior. And also the MetadataRetrieve functions are OK.

But actually, frame 0, channel 0 is in the first frames of the first 40 multipoints. And channel 1 is in the first frames of the first 40 multipoints. I denote this (0-39,0) and (0-39,1), first is the image index, second the frame index.
    3D Frame 0 has (0-39,0) and (0-39,1)
    3D Frame 1 has (40-79,0) and (40-79,1)
    3D Frame 2 has (80-99,0) + (0-19,2) and (80-99,1) + (0-19,3)
    3D Frame 3 has (20-59,2) and (20-59,3)
    etc.

So if you think about this, you can do:
Code: Select all
multipoint = (t*sizeT + z)%imageCount,
frame index = (t*sizeT)//imageCount + c

With % is the remainder operator and // the floor operator. This is how I work now. Because you keep changing between multipoints, the loading times get longer.

My smallest file with this error is 1.7GB, I can upload it if you want. If I crop it, the error goes away... I will also e-mail Nikon with this issue, but for now I wonder if there are people struggling with this too?
caspervdw

Re: Dimensions swapped with ND2 files, loci_tools 5.0.4

Postby caspervdw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm

caspervdw

Postby rleigh » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks, I can reproduce this exactly as you have described, and I've opened a ticket for this here with you CCd on it:
https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12592

Thanks,
Roger Leigh
rleigh

Postby caspervdw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:02 pm

caspervdw wrote:And also the MetadataRetrieve functions are OK.

I would like to comment on myself, the MetadataRetrieve functions are also not OK. Using the indices as described above, I cannot obtain correct timestamp values for example. Also using the (mp,z,c,t) indices with t=z and mp=t doesn't work. It seems like part of the metadata is not accessible, but I cannot say how it works exactly.
caspervdw

Postby rleigh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:43 am

I would not expect this to behave sensibly until the ND2Reader is computing the dimensionality correctly, at which point the MetadataRetrieve interface should start returning correct values.
rleigh

Return to User Discussion [Legacy]