We're Hiring!

PDF export under omero.figure

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

PDF export under omero.figure

Postby LeroyAlex » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi,

It s me again, i m sorry for coming at you every day :D
So, i resolved my problem with omero.figure installation (double quotes with backslash under windows) and i tried to go further by enabling the export to pdf function. First, i had to install the easy_install and pip install package which i did and it s working. Now, when i run my command pip install reportlab==2.7 (cause i m under python 2.6.6) i get this error: unable to find vcvarsall.bat even when i try to install it from the folder (python setup.py install). I checked on line and this is due to a compiler issue. Which one should i install knowing that i dont have visual studio and that i tried to install MinGW which wasn't effective.

Best,

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Re: PDF export under omero.figure

Postby manics » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Alex

What version of windows and Python are you using? You might be able to download a precompiled version of the reportlab module. For example: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#reportlab

I don't think we've tested this, so let us know if it works.

Simon
manics
Team Member

Postby LeroyAlex » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,

I have a windows server 2012R2 and 2.6.6 python.
From the link you gave me ( thx btw), i downloaded this package reportlab‑2.7.win32‑py2.6.exe that i installed successfully: indeed i checked with the pip install command and it returns condition already satisfied.
I uploaded the figure to pdf script and checked it was there with the script list command.
Still, when i click on export to pdf button in omero figure, i get the creating pdf in progress message but nothing happens...Also, when compared to will tutorial video i don't have the blue download button next to the green export to pdf one.

Alex.
Last edited by LeroyAlex on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeroyAlex

Postby wmoore » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Alex,

Yes, I'm afraid that OMERO.figure doesn't yet do a good job of handling failed PDF export scripts. But you can get more info from going to the /webclient UI and clicking on the "Activities" button (in the toolbar to the left of the search field). This will show you all the recent scripts, including those you start from OMERO.figure. You should be able to see any info or error messages there to give you an idea of what's wrong.

Let us know what you see,

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby LeroyAlex » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi,

So it happened we had to reboot the server cause for some unknown reason omero web was not accessible.
It has been done from a back up point where omero.figure was not installed. I installed it again and the export pdf function worked three times in a row so everything looks fine now :D
Is there any special thread concerning the export to pdf function so i can report bug that would eventually
show up in the future?

Best,
Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby wmoore » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Alex,

If you do find any issues or bugs with OMERO.figure, you could start a new thread on this forum, or open a new github issue at https://github.com/will-moore/figure/issues

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby LeroyAlex » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:53 am

Hi,

Yes, it does, thanks.
Hopefully, i won't have to start a thread^^

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby LeroyAlex » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi,

I don't know if it is worth to create a new topic so i ll expose my idea here, hoping you will check it.
First, everything is fine with omero.figure. I practiced on it and really enjoyed how easy it was to make/edit my figure. But in the end, something is bothering me: i can only export my figure in pdf format.
The thing is i can't add my description of the figure in a pdf file (or maybe there is a way to edit pdf files?).
It would be nice to either be able to export in another file format or just implement an insert text function in omero.figure.

Best,

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby cblackburn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:56 am

See new threead: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7680

Colin
cblackburn

Return to User Discussion