We're Hiring!

Dropbox crashes, java 64 & colors in ImageJ

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Dropbox crashes, java 64 & colors in ImageJ

Postby ppouchin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am

Hi,

I've set up the DropBox to automatically import files from the users' folders, but periodically, files stop being imported so I need to restart the server and refresh the files which were not imported, but not the others as to avoid duplicates...
I have made a small script that checks if each file from the server has been imported into OMERO and outputs commands (bash) that I then run as root to refresh the files, but if I were able to directly start the imports from the script (run by the user), it would be nice. I have not found such a function in the API though...
Could the crashes be caused by too much data being imported at the same time ?

I also noticed that master.err is filled with:
Code: Select all
2012-04-16 11:03:46,033 4416       [      main] WARN   enums.handlers.MicroscopeTypeEnumHandler  - Unknown MicroscopeType value 'Unknown' will be stored as "Other"

So the Leica SP5 stores its type as "unknown"... ? Isn't it more an "INFO" than a "WARN" ?

Moreover, I saw this warning in the logs:
loci.formats.MissingLibraryException: QuickTime for Java is not supported with a 64-bit JVM. Please invoke the 32-bit JVM (-d32) to utilize QTJava functionality.

What should I do ? Install a 32-bit JVM ? Change something ?

Finally, when I import images in ImageJ or Fiji through the plugin, the images lose their colors. Would there be a way for users to get their channel colors... ?
ppouchin

Re: Dropbox crashes, java 64 & colors in ImageJ

Postby cblackburn » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 am

Hi,
I've set up the DropBox to automatically import files from the users' folders, but periodically, files stop being imported so I need to restart the server and refresh the files which were not imported, but not the others as to avoid duplicates...

It is possible that too many files being copied into the directories at once could be overwhelming the import process. Could you send the logs for a session where such a restart was needed by zipping up the whole log directory?

Colin
cblackburn

Postby cxallan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 am

ppouchin wrote:Hi,
loci.formats.MissingLibraryException: QuickTime for Java is not supported with a 64-bit JVM. Please invoke the 32-bit JVM (-d32) to utilize QTJava functionality.

There's really very little you can do about this, particularly on Linux. It's just a warning that extended QuickTime functionality is not available without QuickTime for Java installed and without running a 32-bit JVM. As long as you don't have the intention of importing "exotic" QuickTime movies into OMERO you can safely ignore the warning.
cxallan
Site Admin

Postby ppouchin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm

cxallan wrote:
ppouchin wrote:Hi,

There's really very little you can do about this, particularly on Linux. It's just a warning that extended QuickTime functionality is not available without QuickTime for Java installed and without running a 32-bit JVM. As long as you don't have the intention of importing "exotic" QuickTime movies into OMERO you can safely ignore the warning.

Ok !

cblackburn wrote:Hi,

It is possible that too many files being copied into the directories at once could be overwhelming the import process. Could you send the logs for a session where such a restart was needed by zipping up the whole log directory?

Colin

I zipped it and tried to upload it, but it doesn't work.
However, I think I found why it crashed several times in the past months.
One of my users like to make some access restrictions on his data (770). I thought I had solved it by adding the user "omero" (that runs the server) to the group "users". But I still have something like that in MonitorServer.log :
2012-05-14 11:29:57,331 ERROR [                               pyinotify] (Thread-4  ) add_watch: cannot watch /data/OMERO/DropBox/username/some_folder WD=-1 Errno=Permission denied (EACCES)
2012-05-14 11:29:57,396 WARNI [                                  stderr] (Thread-4  ) Exception in thread Thread-4:

Which means, he must be setting them on 700 sometimes...

I also have 1 weird line :
2012-02-24 19:09:36,256 WARNI [                                  stderr] (Dummy-6   ) 2012-02-24 19:09:36.256649 MonitorServer: warning: dispatch exception: ObjectAdapterI.cpp:993: Ice::ObjectAdapterDeactivatedException:
object adapter `omerofs.MonitorServer' deactivated
identity: MonitorServer
facet:
operation: stopMonitor
ppouchin

Postby cblackburn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

it looks like having inaccessible files or directories in the DropBox folders is causing problems for the file monitoring system. The monitoring system should be more robust and so I have raised to a ticket to investigate and fix this:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/9156

If you'd like to be cc'ed on updates to this ticket let me know.

We would recommend, though, that directories and files in the DropBox area are accessible so that changes can be monitored and files imported successfully.

Cheers,

Colin
cblackburn

Postby ppouchin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 am

That's what I thought...

It seems I should tell my users not to hide their files...

Thank you for your help !
ppouchin

Postby ppouchin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 am

Apparently, the program responsible for this crash is rsync.
Since I can not modify the way it behaves by default, I had a look at the DropBox error and I might have a fix.

In the script lib/python/path.py, I replaced the following line:
names = os.listdir(self)

by this:
try:
  names = os.listdir(self)
except OSError:
  # ignore unreadable directories
  names = []

I tried to create an unreadable folder, and the MonitorServer didn't crash...
ppouchin

Postby cblackburn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 am

Hi,

thanks for letting us know how you fixed this locally. path.py is a third-party package that is no longer maintained and so we have already made some modifications ourselves. I'll add details of your fix to the ticket and then look at incorporating this.

Cheers,

Colin
cblackburn

Postby ppouchin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:44 pm

By the way, what settings could I use to silence some of the events in the MonitorServer.log ?
I can change the global python server log level from INFO to WARN, but it does not just affect the MonitorServer log file...
ppouchin

Postby cblackburn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi,

you can change the Python logging in:

$OMERO_HOME\etc\grid\templates.xml

To change the logging for all Python processes change omero.logging.level property under:

<properties id="PythonServer">
      <property name="Ice.ImplicitContext" value="Shared"/>
      <!-- Default logging settings for Python servers. -->
      <property name="omero.logging.timedlog" value="False"/>
      <property name="omero.logging.logsize" value="5000000"/>
      <property name="omero.logging.lognum" value="9"/>
      <property name="omero.logging.level" value="20"/>
      <target name="debug">
        <property name="omero.logging.level" value="10"/>
      </target>
      <!-- From the python documentation
            CRITICAL  50
            ERROR     40
            WARNING   30
            INFO      20
            DEBUG     10
            NOTSET    0
      -->
    </properties>

To override this setting for just the MonitorServer add an omero.logging.level property to:

<server-template id="MonitorServerTemplate">
        <properties>
          <property name="omero.logging.level" value="30"/>
        </properties>
      </server>
    </server-template>

Cheers,

Colin
cblackburn

Next

Return to User Discussion