We're Hiring!

How to add user accounts

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

How to add user accounts

Postby MidM » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

I have another question about adding more user accounts. for instance, Lab member A can manage own private images and share some images with lab member B who has own private images too. is there any function to realise this, adding 2 new OMERO user accounts and some functions being shared ?

I find one description from troubleshooting "Other OMERO users can be created via the web admin tool.", which means I need to activate OMERO.web? we would use this system inside lab, not web available for others.

many thanks.
MidM

Re: How to add user accounts

Postby bernhard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 pm

AFAIK only the Omero.WebAdmin application is able to manage user accounts and group accounts. And yes for this app you need to enable Omero.web.

Sharing individual images is possible with the Omero.Web client. This functionality is not available in Omero.Insight.

Within a group images can be made public to all group members. I know there's a configuration option to enable 'public' images as default. In etc/omero.properties there is
omero.security.default_permissions=rw----
which can be changed to
omero.security.default_permissions=rwr---
to give the group read access to all images per default.

I don't know if this 'public/private' attribute can be changed dynamically in Omero.Web or Omero.Insight.

hth, Bernhard
bernhard

Postby jmwallach » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Would changing to global read (rw----r--) work? Is the mask for a file/graphic stored in the DB? If so could I make the entire content of my db public until the 4.2 release?

jmw
jmwallach

Postby jmoore » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:31 am

The omero.security.default_permissions value can't be changed via OMERO.webadmin, and permissions must be changed at the DB level for all existing data. Having a completely open system (rw-r-r-) would allow the cross-group sharing you're talking about, John, at the server-level, but that won't necessarily be visible in the clients. Further, when 4.2 comes along, you'll have a harder time of upgrading due to the various cross-group links (which won't be allowed in 4.2).

In the 4.1 line, the safest approach will be to use shares from within OMERO.web. If that won't suffice and you plan on modifying/patching things locally, keep ticket:1434 in mind, which will change the semantics of the permissions in 4.2. (Basically, OMERO will be moving to a group-based permission system).

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Return to User Discussion