We're Hiring!

Any software recommendations for volume viewing?

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Re: Any software recommendations for volume viewing?

Postby rleigh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm

So if you're using Ice 3.4 and C++, all current OMERO releases up to 4.4.6 will not work with it. I would suggest trying to build the current dev_4_4 C++ bindings from e.g. http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/OMERO-merge-stable/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/src/target/OMERO.cpp-src-4.4.6-671-3cd18ed-ice33-b189.zip with g++-4.4. This includes the needed workarounds to build with the buggy Ice 3.4 code.

Once you've built that, try building VolViewer using the headers and library from this build, again using g++-4.4.

If this fails as before, the output from this build using g++ -E for the failing compile would be very useful.

Regards,
Roger
rleigh

Postby ppouchin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 am

I don't exactly see what I should do with the source files from your link. Where should I put them ?
ppouchin

Postby phm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm

ppouchin wrote:I don't exactly see what I should do with the source files from your link. Where should I put them ?

I had the same question about where to put the source files. Finally, I put the omero folder in place of those included in the git repository. However, after building the C++ bindings and compile again Volviewer sources I got the same error messages as before.
In the source files of Volviewer there are a lot of missing declarations concerning Linux libraries as qgl glu etc.... I changed the declarations to prevent the errors concerning Linux lib.
phm

Postby ppouchin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

phm wrote:
ppouchin wrote:I don't exactly see what I should do with the source files from your link. Where should I put them ?

I had the same question about where to put the source files. Finally, I put the omero folder in place of those included in the git repository. However, after building the C++ bindings and compile again Volviewer sources I got the same error messages as before.
In the source files of Volviewer there are a lot of missing declarations concerning Linux libraries as qgl glu etc.... I changed the declarations to prevent the errors concerning Linux lib.

I tried something similar, but since it was not working, I thought I'd ask for guidance...

Maybe I should just recompile Ice 3.4.2 to fix slice2cpp since it seems to be the problem... ?
(And even just recompile slice2cpp...)
ppouchin

Postby ppouchin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm trying to build the Omero-Cpp library in two environments: Ubuntu and Windows.
Ubuntu comes with Ice-3.4.2, and I don't like to circumvent the packages system, although I might have to...

With Windows, I could use any version, but my goal is to make a plugin for Imaris, which seems to use Ice 3.4, as the 3.3 version of the OMERO plugin for ImageJ was incompatible with Imaris plugin.
Maybe I could try to use Ice 3.5, but I wonder if it would work with both OMERO and Imaris...

So what I tried is that:
I recompiled slice2cpp under Windows (through Visual Studio 2010 Express - although I'd have preferred MinGW), but the program crashes when compiling OMERO (for an unknown reason).

Under Linux, I upgraded Ubuntu, hoping some of the distribution patches might help...
However, I could not even start to compile OMERO because of some "Fatal Error: Ice/Ice.h not found", which didn't occur before...

How should I proceed... ?
ppouchin

Postby jmoore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 pm

I recompiled slice2cpp under Windows (through Visual Studio 2010 Express - although I'd have preferred MinGW), but the program crashes when compiling OMERO (for an unknown reason).

I assume there's no stack trace or error message?

Under Linux, I upgraded Ubuntu, hoping some of the distribution patches might help...
However, I could not even start to compile OMERO because of some "Fatal Error: Ice/Ice.h not found", which didn't occur before...

If this is the error I think it is, it's something of a misnomer. It means compiling of a simple Ice application failed. Could you look in OmeroCpp/config.log and find the deeper error?

Thanks,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby ppouchin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:36 am

jmoore wrote:

If this is the error I think it is, it's something of a misnomer. It means compiling of a simple Ice application failed. Could you look in OmeroCpp/config.log and find the deeper error?

Thanks,
~Josh

Well, it seems Ubuntu had re-installed G++ 4.7 on top of G++ 4.4, and that's why it didn't work...
I corrected it and tried again, but it seems the Ubuntu version of Ice does not include the fixes...
So I'm trying to focus on Windows for now...

jmoore wrote:

I assume there's no stack trace or error message?

Indeed, there was an error message in the Windows log... It was just a missing dll. Silly me.
So now, it works better, but I get stuck at the same point as in Ubuntu :
"Fatal Error: CXX compiler not working. CXX = $CC"

I tried to set the CXX variable to my compiler (e.g. C:\MinGW64\bin\g++.exe), both in the environment and in blitz_tools.py, but it does not work.
When I set CXX as an OS variable, I get the same error as above, if I set it in the py file, I get
"Fatal Error: CXX compiler not working. CXX = C:\MinGW64\bin\g++.exe"

Should I use Visual Studio ?
ppouchin

Postby jmoore » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 pm

ppouchin wrote:
Well, it seems Ubuntu had re-installed G++ 4.7 on top of G++ 4.4, and that's why it didn't work...
I corrected it and tried again, but it seems the Ubuntu version of Ice does not include the fixes...
So I'm trying to focus on Windows for now...

Quite possibly not. The "instructions" we use for patching and building Ice 3.4 on Mac can be found on github: https://github.com/ome/homebrew-alt/blob/master/Formula/ice.rb

Indeed, there was an error message in the Windows log... It was just a missing dll. Silly me.
So now, it works better, but I get stuck at the same point as in Ubuntu :
"Fatal Error: CXX compiler not working. CXX = $CC"

I tried to set the CXX variable to my compiler (e.g. C:\MinGW64\bin\g++.exe), both in the environment and in blitz_tools.py, but it does not work.
When I set CXX as an OS variable, I get the same error as above, if I set it in the py file, I get
"Fatal Error: CXX compiler not working. CXX = C:\MinGW64\bin\g++.exe"

What does config.log say about the g++.exe attempt?

Should I use Visual Studio ?

Almost certainly. The ZeroC team has been pretty adamant about not supporting mingw previously (e.g. see this thread). I know some people have gotten it to work, but no one on the OME team has attempted it.

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby ppouchin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 pm

So I used Visual Studio to build OmeroCpp, and I managed to compile most of VolViewer (I think).
Now, I have problems when VolViewer is linked: -lomero_client is not found.

It might be because I only built the OmeroCpp component ("build-cpp"). I am now trying "build-all", but it keeps telling me my JAVA_HOME is set to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7" although I changed it to the jdk folder...
ppouchin

Postby jmoore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm

After "build-cpp", the omero_client shared library is either available under the components/tools/OmeroCpp directory or in the target directory zipped as OMERO.cpp*.zip.

Cheers,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to User Discussion