We're Hiring!

OMERO Client Image viewer problem

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

OMERO Client Image viewer problem

Postby Ghows » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with the OMERO client v4.4.6 with my laptop. I can't seem to view any of the images (.lsm and .czi) files that I have imported. It works if I use the web version and using other computers.

Whenever I tried to view an image, this error comes up: "The image could not be opened. The image is not a valid image".

This is what it looks like in the log

2013-04-22 19:19:34,313 ERROR [a.agents.metadata.RenderingControlLoader] (entQueue-0) Data Retrieval Failure: java.lang.NullPointerException: No rendering engine.
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.RenderingControlProxy.<init>(RenderingControlProxy.java:783)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.makeNew(PixelsServicesFactory.java:656)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.createRenderingControl(PixelsServicesFactory.java:252)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.OmeroImageServiceImpl.loadRenderingControl(OmeroImageServiceImpl.java:588)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.calls.RenderingControlLoader$1.doCall(RenderingControlLoader.java:97)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.BatchCall.doStep(BatchCall.java:144)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.CompositeTask.doStep(CompositeTask.java:226)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.CompositeBatchCall.doStep(CompositeBatchCall.java:126)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.exec(ExecCommand.java:165)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.run(ExecCommand.java:276)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.AsyncProcessor$Runner.run(AsyncProcessor.java:91)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Data Retrieval Failure: java.lang.NullPointerException: No rendering engine.
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.RenderingControlProxy.<init>(RenderingControlProxy.java:783)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.makeNew(PixelsServicesFactory.java:656)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.createRenderingControl(PixelsServicesFactory.java:252)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.OmeroImageServiceImpl.loadRenderingControl(OmeroImageServiceImpl.java:588)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.calls.RenderingControlLoader$1.doCall(RenderingControlLoader.java:97)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.BatchCall.doStep(BatchCall.java:144)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.CompositeTask.doStep(CompositeTask.java:226)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.CompositeBatchCall.doStep(CompositeBatchCall.java:126)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.exec(ExecCommand.java:165)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.run(ExecCommand.java:276)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.AsyncProcessor$Runner.run(AsyncProcessor.java:91)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"

I would be grateful if someone knows how to fix this error in my laptop. I have even uninstall and reinstall Java.

Thanks
Ghows
Ghows

Re: OMERO Client Image viewer problem

Postby jmoore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 am

What version of Java are you using? Could you attach/upload the entire client log?

Thanks,
~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby Ghows » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi,

It's Java version 7 update 21.

I can't seem to attach the log file. Keep saying .log extension is not allowed. Maybe I can email you the log file?

Thanks
Ghows
Ghows

Postby jmoore » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am

Info sent separately.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby jburel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Ghows

Could you send us one of the files via our QA system? so we can try to reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby Ghows » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Jmarie,

I have sent two .czi files via the QA system.
http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/qa/feed ... d8c6b7831c

It should work as I manage to see the images via the web browser and in other computers. It's just my work laptop that is having the problem.

Thanks

Best wishes
Ghows
Ghows

Postby rleigh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for uploading the images to the QA system. The images themselves look fine with both versions 4.4.6 and 4.4.7 and the file reading works fine with bioformats, imports, and is viewable with both Insight and the webclient. It's possible that upgrading to 4.4.7 might help, but that's not certain. It might be a Java 7 issue with Insight--I was testing with Java 6. I'll retry with 4.4.7 on Java 7 and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Regards,
Roger
rleigh

Postby Ghows » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Roger,

I've tried on 4.4.7 as well. The same error comes up. I will try Java 6 and see if that will make a difference. I've tested on other computers and it works but I'm not sure what Java version those computers have.

Best wishes
Ghows
Ghows

Postby rleigh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

I've just tried 4.4.7 with java 7 on Linux, and it all appears to work there as well (previously testing using java 6 on MacOS). Which operating system are you using?

Thanks,
Roger
rleigh

Postby rleigh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 am

I have additionally tried 64-bit java 7 on 64-bit windows 8 with 4.4.7. This was a bit slow (it's in a virtual machine), and there were some minor graphical layout issues (it's windows 8), but other than that I could view the images without trouble.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce the issue so far. It certainly can't hurt to upgrade to 4.4.7, and if you haven't already, restarting your existing 4.4.6 server may be worth trying.

Regards,
Roger
rleigh

Next

Return to User Discussion