We're Hiring!

OMERO Client Image viewer problem

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Re: OMERO Client Image viewer problem

Postby Ghows » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:49 pm

I've tried Java 6, still the same problem.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

What confuses me is that the web client is working but the client doesn't. Can anyone tell me how they processed images differently?
Ghows

Postby atarkowska » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi,

There is significant difference between desktop client called Insight written in Java and Webclient written in Python. Both of them use different language bidings to ask OMERO server to render the image. More info about Rendering Engnee you can find here
Ola
atarkowska

Postby pkMyt1 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

This is somewhat similar to a problem I am having. The thumbnails all appear as black boxes from Insight using versions 4.4.6 and 4.4.7, 4.4.5 is fine. When I try and display with the image viewer it gives an error saying the file is not an image. The web view is fine.
pkMyt1

Postby wmoore » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Dennis?
I'm assuming this is related to your QA 6628 and Blitz log at QA 6632?

Thanks for the info above - it seems that the 'black thumbnails' is a client-side issue.
Do you have the client logs for the 4.4.7 Insight for when you're seeing black thumbnails or "not a valid image" when opening an image?

What OS (and version) are you running Insight on?

You said that "many" of the thumbnails are black. Is there anything different about the black ones? E.g pixel type, size, number of channels etc?

I wonder if the web jpeg issue in QA 6628 is the same as the Insight 'black thumbnails'... Is the jpeg download failing on the same images that are displaying OK in the web main image viewer?

I've created a ticket for this to try and collate all the info on this issue:
https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/10838
wmoore
Team Member

Postby Ghows » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm

I also have the black thumbnails issue. It does seem to be on the client side.

Although what you said about it working on 4.4.5 is interesting. I've never used 4.4.5, I gave it a try and it works! I can open the images and see the thumbnails.

So the client problem started from 4.4.6. I've also tried 4.4.7 and 4.4.8 but still have the problem.

Maybe this will give the developers an idea, something changed between 4.4.5 and 4.4.6 which causes the image problem on some computers.

Ghows
Ghows

Postby pkMyt1 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 pm

wmoore
Yes, those are mine. Sorry if I uploaded duplicates. The OMERO.qa system and I were not getting along. I have tested this on Windows7 32 and 64 bit systems. The server is RHEL5. 4.4.6 and 4.4.7 give this problem, 4.4.5 works fine. 4.4.7 also fails to create thumbnails when importing images. What I meant my "many" was I have alot of tiled 32 bit images that will not show thumbnails, never have. I think these are part of an old issue. I attempted to upload my Insight log file but I am not sure where it went. I think the relevant lines are here:
2013-05-02 09:29:59,195 INFO [copy.shoola.env.data.DataServicesFactory] (nitializer) Server version: 4.4.7
Client version: 4.4.7-ice33-b246
os_name: Windows 7
os_arch: amd64
java_version: 1.7.0_11
os_version: 6.1

2013-05-02 09:29:59,387 INFO [y.shoola.env.data.login.LoginServiceImpl] (nitializer) Logged onto OMERO at: top2a.med.unc.edu
User Name: dennis -- Password: ********

2013-05-02 09:30:15,932 ERROR [py.shoola.env.data.OmeroImageServiceImpl] ( Thread-20)
2013-05-02 09:30:25,071 ERROR [a.agents.metadata.RenderingControlLoader] (entQueue-0) Data Retrieval Failure: java.lang.NullPointerException: No rendering engine.
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.RenderingControlProxy.<init>(RenderingControlProxy.java:855)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.makeNew(PixelsServicesFactory.java:725)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.createRenderingControl(PixelsServicesFactory.java:254)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.OmeroImageServiceImpl.loadRenderingControl(OmeroImageServiceImpl.java:627)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.calls.RenderingControlLoader$1.doCall(RenderingControlLoader.java:97)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.BatchCall.doStep(BatchCall.java:144)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.CompositeTask.doStep(CompositeTask.java:226)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.CompositeBatchCall.doStep(CompositeBatchCall.java:126)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.exec(ExecCommand.java:165)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.run(ExecCommand.java:276)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.AsyncProcessor$Runner.run(AsyncProcessor.java:91)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Data Retrieval Failure: java.lang.NullPointerException: No rendering engine.
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.RenderingControlProxy.<init>(RenderingControlProxy.java:855)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.makeNew(PixelsServicesFactory.java:725)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.rnd.PixelsServicesFactory.createRenderingControl(PixelsServicesFactory.java:254)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.OmeroImageServiceImpl.loadRenderingControl(OmeroImageServiceImpl.java:627)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.calls.RenderingControlLoader$1.doCall(RenderingControlLoader.java:97)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.BatchCall.doStep(BatchCall.java:144)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.CompositeTask.doStep(CompositeTask.java:226)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.env.data.views.CompositeBatchCall.doStep(CompositeBatchCall.java:126)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.exec(ExecCommand.java:165)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.ExecCommand.run(ExecCommand.java:276)
at org.openmicroscopy.shoola.util.concur.tasks.AsyncProcessor$Runner.run(AsyncProcessor.java:91)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
pkMyt1

Previous

Return to User Discussion