We're Hiring!

omero figure improvement

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

omero figure improvement

Postby LeroyAlex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:09 am

Hi,

I don't know if it is worth to create a new topic but i ll expose my idea here.
First, everything is fine with omero.figure. I practiced on it and really enjoyed how easy it was to make/edit my figure. But in the end, something is bothering me: i can only export my figure in pdf format.
The thing is i can't add my description of the figure in a pdf file (or maybe there is a way to edit pdf files?).
It would be nice to either be able to export in another file format or just implement an insert text function in omero.figure.

Best,

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Re: omero figure improvement

Postby wmoore » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:51 am

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. I already have feature requests for labels/text-boxes on the figure. Also I have in mind the ability to add a Legend to a figure that would appear in the second page of the exported PDF. It sounds like the "Legend" feature is what you're asking for, to "add a description of the figure"? I've added your request to my todo list.

Regards,

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby LeroyAlex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Yes, i meant a legend feature indeed.

Best, keep up the good work!

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby LeroyAlex » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 am

Hi,

I think my question stiill fit this topic so i ll ask it there:

Is there any other way than playing with the image size to modulate the dpi of an image in omero.web?
And what is the algorythm behind it?

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby wmoore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Alex,

You can only modify the DPI by resizing the panel OR by zooming the image in the panel.
The DPI is what you'd get if you printed the figure at the paper size specified under File > Paper setup...
which is A4 by default. DPI only has any meaning when mapping a number of pixels onto physical paper size.

I am planning to add a feature where you can increase the DPI by breaking an image into more pixels, E.g. by turning a 256 x 256 image into a 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 image. This would increase the DPI accordingly. You'd have the option to interpolate the pixels to create a smoother (less pixelated) appearance.

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby LeroyAlex » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi,

Thx for your quick answer as always.
Nice, i'm looking forward to this new feature.

Best,

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby Trefex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 pm

LeroyAlex wrote:Hi,

I don't know if it is worth to create a new topic but i ll expose my idea here.
First, everything is fine with omero.figure. I practiced on it and really enjoyed how easy it was to make/edit my figure. But in the end, something is bothering me: i can only export my figure in pdf format.
The thing is i can't add my description of the figure in a pdf file (or maybe there is a way to edit pdf files?).
It would be nice to either be able to export in another file format or just implement an insert text function in omero.figure.

Best,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

You can edit the PDF directly in Illustrator or other graphic editing software. Perhaps it also works in Inkscape and free tools.

All elements are in layers, so you can change font, font size, colors etc...

It works really well.

Best,
Trefex

Postby LeroyAlex » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 am

Hi,

Thx for your answer.
I ll try to edit my pdf with the software you recommended and see if it s friendly enough :D

Best,

Alex.
LeroyAlex

Postby wmoore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi Alex,

Just an update: the next major release of OMERO.figure will allow you to add figure legends which will be exported in the PDF. See https://github.com/will-moore/figure/pull/65 for a screenshot.
wmoore
Team Member

Return to User Discussion