We're Hiring!

Local caching and many channel images?

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Local caching and many channel images?

Postby cpoczatek » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello all,

We're investigating if OMERO (and OMERO + ImageJ) would be suitable for our lab. I had some questions that I didn't find answers to here or in the documentation.

- Do OMERO clients keep a local cache of images? Eg, if I'm working on a set of files with the OMERO client and/or the OMERO IJ plugin does it have to pull them over the network each time?

- Does OMERO handle many channel images well? Eg 5, 10, 20 channel? The examples I've seen are less than that.

Thanks,
Collin
cpoczatek

Re: Local caching and many channel images?

Postby jmoore » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi Collin,

cpoczatek wrote:- Do OMERO clients keep a local cache of images? Eg, if I'm working on a set of files with the OMERO client and/or the OMERO IJ plugin does it have to pull them over the network each time?

At the moment, no. They pull each plane as it is needed, and use thumbnails (which are cached server-side) in the views which require more than one plane. When using OMERO.web, the browser will do significant caching though.

- Does OMERO handle many channel images well? Eg 5, 10, 20 channel? The examples I've seen are less than that.

Certainly no issue with 5. With the 10 the UI might be slightly cluttered. Beyond 20, the infrastructure will still work, but a slider-approach may be more usable. What type of data are you looking at?

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby cpoczatek » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi Josh,

Thanks for responding. I missed it cause I didn't see/get an email that you posted on this thread.

Our images come out of a Cameca nanoSIMS imaging mass spec, so pretty atypical. We have a Fiji plugin that we wrote (OpenMIMS) that can go from proprietary .im format -> .nrrd which Bioformats can read.

Like I said we're just starting to look into OMERO as a "data management" solution, I'm not sure having to send images over the wire would impact our workflow though. I'll have to play around with things.

Thanks again.
Collin
cpoczatek

Postby jmoore » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Interesting! Let us know how it goes.

~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Return to User Discussion