We're Hiring!

5.2.2 server takes over all CPU - becomes unresponsive

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

5.2.2 server takes over all CPU - becomes unresponsive

Postby dsudar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi,
I upgraded my Ubuntu 14.04 machine to 5.2.2 on Monday (from 5.1.4) and large imports of ScanR plates (384 wells, 4 channels, 4 fields) since then cause the OMERO server to take over all CPU on the machine which makes the machine unresponsive for a long time. In fact, OMERO.web session crashed because of that (see QA case 17124). This appears to happen immediately after the image import has concluded and it's probably creating thumbnails or something like that.

Here's a screen shot of htop while this is happening:
htop_OMERO.GIF
htop_OMERO.GIF (116.69 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

In master.err, I get a number of exceptions related to GC overhead limit exceeded:
Exception in thread "bitronix-task-scheduler" Exception in thread "OMERO.scheduler_QuartzSchedulerThread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at bitronix.tm.timer.TaskScheduler.executeElapsedTasks(TaskScheduler.java:258)
at bitronix.tm.timer.TaskScheduler.run(TaskScheduler.java:244)
Exception in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Server-8" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Client-6" Exception in thread "Timer-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "OMERO.scheduler_QuartzSchedulerThread"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "pool-5-thread-7"
Exception in thread "pool-5-thread-7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Server-16"
Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Server-16"
Exception in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Server-19" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread "Ice.Timer" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread "perf4j-async-stats-appender-sink-CoalescingStatistics" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread "Blitz-0-Ice.ThreadPool.Client-8" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

None of this happened under 5.1.4 and outside the 5.2.2 upgrade nothing else changed on the machine.

Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Re: 5.2.2 server takes over all CPU - becomes unresponsive

Postby dsudar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 am

Quick follow-up: I tried importing the exact same data set with another OMERO 5.2.2 instance on a Centos6.7 system (similarly powerful system as the Ubuntu unit). It imported okay but I did notice that immediately after the command line import concluded, the CPU use spiked a number of times extremely high but then came down to a normal low CPU use within 1 minute.
I have that data set ready for your testing tar'ed and bzip2'ed up (5.5GB) in case that helps.
Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Postby atarkowska » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 am

Hi Damir,

Could you try to increase the heap size? For more details please look at https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/sup ... mance.html

Ola
atarkowska

Postby dsudar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:50 am

Hi Ola,
Thanks for the quick response.

I did not yet try a larger heap size and had been using the percent method which results in:
omero_user@omero:~$ omero admin jvmcfg
JVM Settings:
============
blitz=-Xmx5053m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions
indexer=-Xmx3368m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions
pixeldata=-Xmx5053m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions
repository=-Xmx3368m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions

The server has 32GB physical memory (I'm waiting for more memory that is on back-order). What would you suggest I try for the new settings?

And do you think that allocating more memory will mitigate the extreme CPU usage issue? I had the same settings with 5.1.4 and this issue never occurred.

Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Postby dsudar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi Ola,

On my Ubuntu 14.04 server I upped the allocations to all the 4 components and re-ran the import
omero admin jvmcfg is now:
omero_user@omero:~$ omero admin jvmcfg
JVM Settings:
============
blitz=-Xmx10106m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'percent': '30'})
indexer=-Xmx5053m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'percent': '15'})
pixeldata=-Xmx10106m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'percent': '30'})
repository=-Xmx5053m -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions # Settings({'percent': '15'})

As before the import itself completes and the extreme CPU usage spikes are there for about 2 minutes and then it quiets down to normal levels. So indeed, it appears that allocating more memory helps. But I'm still wondering, what is causing those extreme CPU usage spikes immediately after the import itself completes? Is that thumbnail creation or something?

Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Postby atarkowska » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 am

Hi Damir,

Could you confirm if you tried exactly the same import on 5.1?

Could you try
Code: Select all
bin/omero import ... --debug
(see https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/sup ... ort--debug) or
$ importer-cli ... --debug ALL
, then pipe that to a file and also send us server logs to help say what is happening

Did you try to turn off thumbnail generation on import
--skip thumbnails
(see https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/sup ... port--skip) to see if it makes any difference with CPU usage.

Ola
atarkowska

Return to User Discussion