We're Hiring!

deleting user channel levels settings

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

deleting user channel levels settings

Postby bmicklem » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm

In iViewer, I want to remove some saved image contrast settings. This is for a public repository, and I don't want user names showing (I have created new users called 'Default Contrast' and 'No Clipping' for pre-sets, now want to get rid of settings with my username). Is this possible?
bmicklem

Re: deleting user channel levels settings

Postby bmicklem » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:39 pm

And also is there a way of forcing which settings will be initially applied for the public user?
bmicklem

Postby wmoore » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am

Hi,

A lot depends on the permissions of the group the images are in.

We recommend that you use Read-only group for public data (https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5 ... ublic-user) with the data belonging to another user so that the Public user can't annotate the data.

With read-only group, you also cannot save Rendering settings on another user's images. If you want multiple rendering settings for your public images, the best option is to create these in a Read-Annotate group, then move the images into a Read-only 'public' group that the Public user is a member of.
The public user always sees the settings for the owner of the image by default.

You probably have your data in a Read-Annotate group (if you are saving settings for various users?).

You can delete ALL rendering settings for an image using the command line and the Image ID:

Code: Select all
$ bin/omero delete Image/RenderingDef:123

Or delete a single RenderingDef by ID.

$ omero delete RenderingDef:25862

Probably the easiest way to get the ID of a Rendering Def is to use the browser dev-tools in the webclient Preview panel.
Right-click on the thumbnail and > Inspect Element.
Find the
<button>
element that the image is in and read the "data-rdid" attribute on it (25863 in the screenshot below).

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 10.56.04.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 10.56.04.png (79.42 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

Hope that helps.

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby bmicklem » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Will,

I'm using a read-only project for the public-viewable images.

To get the multiple saved rendering presets, I was making all the users, except the public user, owners of the dataset, and then they can save settings. The public user cannot save settings, but I had a wierd bug where for one image only, a setting for public user appeared. Then this morning, a colleague uploaded more images as non-public user, and the images appeared with saved settings for their user plus the public one. Public user cannot save new settings in iViewer, and still has read-only rights. Very strange.

To resolve the default settings being random for the public user, I think we are getting rid of all users except a user called Default Settings who will be the owner of the dataset and images, and the public user who is just a member of the read-only project.

I have tried both of your suggests for erasing all settings for an image (I assumed that the number on the end of the command below was the image ref?

$ bin/omero delete Image/RenderingDef:123

I also tried:

$ omero delete RenderingDef:25862

with the number being the one shown for the button when inspected in the browser.

I tried clearing the omero web cache and restarting omero, but the settings are not removed. Any ideas why?

Thanks a lot for you help
bmicklem

Postby wmoore » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi,

It's possible for a public user to create rendering settings for an image if they view that image when it has no other rendering settings. It may be that you deleted all rendering settings then viewed the image as public user? This could also happen if the public user is the first to view a newly imported image, before the owner.

You can check with the command-line whether Rendering settings have been deleted from the DB, and see who owns settings for a particular image via:

$ bin/omero hql --all "SELECT id, details.owner.omeName FROM RenderingDef WHERE pixels.image.id = 1234"
Using session for will@localhost:4064. Idle timeout: 10 min. Current group: read-ann
# | Col1  | Col2
---+-------+------
0 | 30575 | will
(1 row)

read-only project

Just to clarify: the permissions e.g. read-only are assigned to Groups (not Projects etc) and will then apply to Projects, Datasets & Images within that group. So the permissions on data can change when you move them between groups.
all the users, except the public user, owners of the dataset,

Also, you can only have 1 owner of data (Project, Dataset, Image etc) whereas a Group can have 0,1 or more owners.

Hope this helps,

Will
wmoore
Team Member

Return to User Discussion