We're Hiring!

unable to login after reboot

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

unable to login after reboot

Postby mpetruc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:19 pm

after rebooting the server (Omero Beta-4.1.1-r5927-b91 on Windows 2003) i am unable to login to omero as root. i have updated the hash in the password table for user 0 (per http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/supp ... r/security)
after which i restarted postgress and the omero service. i'm still getting the "Incorect usrname/password" message.
i am puzzeled because before restarting i was able to login just fine. is there anything else i can try at this point, short of reinstalling the database and omero?
thanks a lot
mpetruc

Re: unable to login after reboot

Postby jmoore » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 am

Hi Marius,

it's unlikely that you've done anything to your database that we can't fix. When you say you updated the hash, you mean you did something like:
Code: Select all
$ PASS=`echo -n "ome" | openssl md5 -binary | openssl base64`
$ psql mydatabase -c "update password set hash = '$PASS' where experimenter_id = 0"
UPDATE 1

Right?

To see if that is the issue, you can temporarily set the root password to blank and try to login:
Code: Select all
$ psql mydatabase -c "update password set hash = '' where experimenter_id = 0"

A blank password means any password will be accepted. If you still can't login as root, then there's a larger issue, and it would help to have the log files. Perhaps then the server is not properly connected to the DB? Have you tried from both OMERO.web and OMERO.insight?

Best wishes,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby mpetruc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 pm

i have set the password for experimenter_id 0 to blank (directly edited the record for experimenter_id 0 in the password table using pgAdminIII). i'm still unable to login as root from both OMERO.web and OMERO.importer). attached please find the log files.
thank you so much for your help. you guys are doing such a great service to the community by providing this application. i am very greatful.

have a wonderful New Year!
marius
mpetruc

Postby johnjhufnagle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:53 pm

I had similar problems in setting up a second system. When I was doing the original 'bin/omero web settings' I put in the wrong OMERO.web administrator user name and password. So I stopped the server and ice and then re-ran 'bin/omero web settings' and entered the user/pwd that I really wanted. It seemed to correctly recognize that the initial configuration had been done before since it prompted me if I wanted to overwrite. It all ran fine. Then after I started the server back up and ice my new credentials didn't work for the web client or Insight. I did get the warning during the settings config:

Please enter password for OMERO.web administrator:
Please re-enter password for OMERO.web administrator:
<string>:36: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
Saved to /Users/johnhufnagle/omero/omero_dist/lib/python/omeroweb/initial_data.json

I had to resort to the fix that Josh provided above by whacking the password in the db. So now I get in fine :)
Wondering what I might have goofed up.
Thanks Josh.
John
johnjhufnagle

Postby jmoore » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

just a quick note to avoid confusion: the "bin/omero web ..." admin password is unrelated to the root password. It's strictly used for logging into the django admin application (http://localhost:8000/admin)

~Josh.
jmoore
Site Admin

Return to Installation and Deployment