We're Hiring!

setting PYTHONPATH variable doesn't "stick"

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Re: setting PYTHONPATH variable doesn't "stick"

Postby Alan H » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm

The 3.3 packages were installed with yum, not RPM. I guess I can yum uninstall "package name"....I kept a list of them.

The one upside to this incredibly frustrating process is that I am learning a lot. :roll:

yum remove "all the 3.3 packages I installed yesterday"
then rpm -u all the rpm's I just installed
then rpm -i all the 3.4 rpm's again.
Alan H

Postby Alan H » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Nope.

Screw this. I've spent 20+ hours on this and haven't gotten the installation to work. I know I'm a linux hack, but this is ridiculous. I'm reformatting.
Alan H

Postby manics » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi Alan

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it to work. If you're reformatting this might be a good time to upgrade to Centos 6.4, which will give you access to python 2.6 and java-1.7.0-openjdk. If you do upgrade make sure you download the rhel6 Ice 3.4 RPMs or configure yum to use zeroc-ice-rhel6.repo. Judging by the output of your rpm commands you originally installed the Ice rpms for rhel4.
manics
Team Member

Postby kennethgillen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Alan,

manics wrote:If you're reformatting this might be a good time to upgrade to Centos 6.4, which will give you access to python 2.6 and java-1.7.0-openjdk.

I would second Simon's suggestion re: CentOS 6.4. I have a setup script which installs many of the prerequisites for OMERO on CentOS 6.3/4 , which will make it's way into GitHub shortly which can point you at when the time comes.

Best,

Kenny
kennethgillen

Postby Alan H » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:01 am

I actually got the Debian 7.1 installation set up and then had a talk with the three faculty members that want this. They are very tired of waiting, it's been several weeks that I've been trying to cram this in between everything else that I do, and easily two months since we started up the idea in the first place. They want results...a working server. So I reformatted and installed Windows Server 2008 because I'm more familiar with Windows. I only went with CentOS because that was what was on the machine to start with .

I have now spent about 6 hours going step by meticulous step, in gory detail, checking every single damn thing I've done 3x against the Windows installation instructions on this website and I am finally at the same blasted step.

OMERO.server>bin\omero config set omero.db.name omero_database

and it, once again, can't find Ice.

_________

EDIT...found an error in %PYTHONPATH% ... trying it again after fixing that.
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Postby Alan H » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:40 am

Still trying. Found another error in %PATH%. This is seriously frustrating after being this careful for this many hours... fixed it and rebooting.

---------

WTF?

Code: Select all
c:\OMERO.server\OMERO.server-dist>bin\omero config set omero.db.name omero_database
c:\OMERO.server\OMERO.server-dist>python was unexpected at this time.
Alan H

Postby Alan H » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 am

Just saw this on the Windows server install documentation --

"Users have reported that under certain conditions installing Ice in the default location (C:\Program Files) might break the Windows PATH (due to special characters present in the file name). In cases where omero admin diagnostics throws any errors related to unexpected paths with Ice, please consider installing Ice in the root of the partition (e.g. C:\Ice)."

Yeah. That's about right......I've uninstalled Ice using the installer package "uninstall" function and reinstalled at C:\Ice3.4.1\
edited the PATH and PYTHONPATH

and....hullo, no error message. Well, hot damn. Only took three hours. Oy ve. :roll: At least it's working!

EDIT --------

And now, when running bin\omero db script
it cant' find java.

This is insane. INSANE.
Alan H

Postby manics » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Alan.

Which version of Java did you install? Can you paste your user PATH here? ('echo %PATH%' from a command prompt). Thanks.
manics
Team Member

Postby Alan H » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Got it. I'm running this on an AMD64 machine, but no matter what I install, the various components can't find each other, including JDK. However, if I install x86 components, everything works fine. I don't grok this, but if it works, then it works, right?
Alan H

Postby Alan H » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

OK, so how do I figure out the patch level?

I'm on WINDOWS, now, right? When I "google" ~ "omero patch level" I find a nice site page which explains how to find this out on Unix, but not Windows. Seeing as those instructions had us using grep to search the file omero.properties, I figured it would be the same on Windows. So I took a look at that file.

c:\OMERO.server.dist> type \etc\omero.properties

shows me a lovely long file with lots of information in it, but nothing about the patch level. So how do I figure out the patch level? I downloaded the Windows 4.4.8 server package on Friday.
Alan H

PreviousNext

Return to Installation and Deployment