We're Hiring!

Bio-Formats Exporter not saving dimension data in TIF

Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats
Please note:
Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats

If you are having trouble with image files, there is information about reporting bugs in the Bio-Formats documentation. Please send us the data and let us know what version of Bio-Formats you are using. For issues with your code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Bio-Formats Exporter not saving dimension data in TIF

Postby davemason » Tue May 19, 2015 3:13 pm

BACKSTORY: I'm trying to save ~10GB of imaging data into a tif file from Fiji using the Bio-Formats Exporter and I can't get any of the (non-OME) Tif formats (.tif, .tiff, .tf2, .tf8, .btf) to save the dimensionality data (Channels, Times and Zs). OME-TIFF does, but even after 5.1.1 this format still doesn't seem to be able to save files >4GB.

You can recreate this by creating a new hyperstack (2 channels, 5 frames), then exporting as any of the tif formats (I used uncompressed). Importing these back into Fiji (using the Bio-Formats Importer) opens them as a single sequence (of 10 timepoints).

The OME-XML looks like this:
<Pixels BigEndian="false" DimensionOrder="XYCZT" ID="Pixels:0" Interleaved="false" PhysicalSizeX="1.0" PhysicalSizeXUnit="µm" PhysicalSizeY="1.0" PhysicalSizeYUnit="µm" SignificantBits="8" SizeC="1" SizeT="10" SizeX="512" SizeY="512" SizeZ="1" Type="uint8">

Is there something simple that I'm missing to save (big) files with dimensionality data using the bioformats exporter? Unexpectedly, the basic Fiji SaveAs (specifying Tif) does save the dimensions.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Dave
davemason

Re: Bio-Formats Exporter not saving dimension data in TIF

Postby mlinkert » Tue May 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi Dave,

This is expected behavior - plain TIFF files have no mechanism for recording the dimensions.

Support for >4 GB OME-TIFF export in Fiji will be present in the upcoming 5.1.2 release; specifying the .ome.tf2, .ome.tf8, or .ome.btf extension will enable this automatically.

-Melissa
mlinkert
Team Member

Re: Bio-Formats Exporter not saving dimension data in TIF

Postby davemason » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm very pleased to hear that the 4GB+ versions of OME-TIF are coming.

Best,

Dave
davemason

Return to User Discussion [Legacy]