We're Hiring!

Troubleshooting Insight failed log on

Having a problem deploying OMERO? Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

The OMERO.server installation documentation begins here and you can find OMERO.web deployment documentation here.

Troubleshooting Insight failed log on

Postby ahar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi,
I can login from the command line on my omero server itself and through the web interface but using insight from another computer gives the error "Failed to log onto OMERO. Please check your username and/or password or try again later."

I've used PortQryV2 to confirm the server is listening on ports 4063 & 4064 so I don't think it's a firewall issue. Where should I start looking next? Java security settings? Somewhere else?
Thanks in advance.
ahar

Re: Troubleshooting Insight failed log on

Postby kennethgillen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi ahar,

You're right, it sounds exactly like the ports being firewalled.

Next thing I'd to is check the Blitz-0.log to see if there is any connection attempt logged. You can submit that to us if you like, for another set of eyes.

To share with us, you can either upload the following to https://www.openmicroscopy.org/qa2/qa/upload/ or attach the following as a zip

Code: Select all
${OMERO_SERVER}/var/log/Blitz-0.log

Server config wouldn't hurt to peruse as well, but not where I'd first look:

If you want to submit that while you're here:

• Output of bin/omero admin diagnostics
  • Output of bin/omero config get --hide-password (Blank out any passwords)

Cheers,

Kenny
kennethgillen

Postby ahar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. It turns out that I can connect using Insight from one of our Windows 7 desktops with Java 7u79. It's obvious from the Blitz-0.log that nothing is getting through from the Windows 10 desktop I originally found the problem with. It has Java 8u91.

Looks like I need to work out how to turn on some sort of Java logging at the client end to see why it won't connect? I wonder if I need to tell it to trust the server certificate in the Java control panel security options?
ahar

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 am

Hi,
I wonder if there are some Windows 10 specific default firewall setttings, which block the connection.
Unfortunately the Insight error dialog doesn't provide much information. You might find out more details in the omeroinsight.log file. In Windows (at least up to version 8) it is located in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\omero\log directory.
Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:22 am

Can you add an "incoming" rule for the Java binary in the windows firewall setting? At least that's the case on my windows 8 installation. Unfortunately I don't have Windows 10 at hand for testing this.
Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby ahar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi,
I briefly turned the Windows firewall off but it made no difference.
I should have mentioned that the server is running the embarrassingly old version 5.0.4 :oops:
It's not in production and I will update it before it is. I'll spare you all the details but it's had a very long gestation period this one...

I tried the latest 5.3.0 clients - they do at least leave a mark on the blitz-0.log but I assume fail to log on due to version mismatch?
ahar

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Ah, so it looks like it's just a version conflict. You shouldn't be able to connect to a 5.0.x server with an other client than 5.0.x anyway. I suspect, it'll work if you use the latest 5.0.x version which is 5.0.8: http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.0.8/

Regards,
Dominik
Dominik
Team Member

Postby ahar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Just to recap:
The 5.0.4 and 5.0.8 clients on Windows 10 with Java 8u91 fail to connect without leaving any trace in Blitz-0.log
The 5.0.4 client on Windows 7 with Java 7u79 works correctly.

The 5.3.0 client on Windows 10 fails to connect but does show a connection attempt in Blitz-0.log.

Since I'll be bringing the server up to date soon, I'll not worry about why it's not currently working on Windows 10 and hope that it'll be fine with the latest client and server versions working together.
I'll let you know how it goes.
ahar

Postby kennethgillen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:23 pm

ahar wrote:The 5.0.4 and 5.0.8 clients on Windows 10 with Java 8u91 fail to connect without leaving any trace in Blitz-0.log

Hi Ahar,

We had issues with the 5.0.x clients with Java 8. I think it was fixed in OMERO 5.1.0, cf https://trac.openmicroscopy.org/ome/ticket/12339
kennethgillen

Return to Installation and Deployment