We're Hiring!

Matlab import of Aperio .svs file not retrieving XML data

Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats
Please note:
Historical discussions about the Bio-Formats library. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/bio-formats

If you are having trouble with image files, there is information about reporting bugs in the Bio-Formats documentation. Please send us the data and let us know what version of Bio-Formats you are using. For issues with your code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Matlab import of Aperio .svs file not retrieving XML data

Postby epaulw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I have gotten Matlab to import Aperio .svs files. However, the data I get back seem a little odd. It comes as a cell array that replicates the original image in smaller and smaller thumbnails (if you can call a 6500x5500 image a thumbnail).

Further, it only grabs some of the ancillary information, but it does not retrieve the XML data. The XML is my whole reason for using bio-formats. Otherwise, just renaming the image file to tiff or jpeg makes it importable (without all the extra baggage showing up). The XML data contains the overlays, hand drawn outlines of the pathologist's regions of interest.

Should I be expecting that XML to show up as data? Or should I assume that I need to import the XML data separately, and program my way through it?

Paul
epaulw

Re: Matlab import of Aperio .svs file not retrieving XML dat

Postby mlinkert » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm

I have gotten Matlab to import Aperio .svs files. However, the data I get back seem a little odd. It comes as a cell array that replicates the original image in smaller and smaller thumbnails (if you can call a 6500x5500 image a thumbnail).

Further, it only grabs some of the ancillary information, but it does not retrieve the XML data. The XML is my whole reason for using bio-formats. Otherwise, just renaming the image file to tiff or jpeg makes it importable (without all the extra baggage showing up). The XML data contains the overlays, hand drawn outlines of the pathologist's regions of interest.

Should I be expecting that XML to show up as data? Or should I assume that I need to import the XML data separately, and program my way through it?

If you're referring to the OME-XML that Bio-Formats creates, then you should be able to retrieve it like so:

Code: Select all
reader = bfGetReader('/path/to/file');
omexml = loci.formats.MetadataTools.getOMEXML(reader.getMetadataStore());

I've never seen an .svs file that contained actual XML, so if your files do contain extra XML data (or have an associated XML file) then it's likely that Bio-Formats does not read this. The best thing to do then would be to send at least one dataset so that we can verify the problem and test any changes. If you need a place to upload data, let me know and I will send instructions in a private message.

Regards,
-Melissa
mlinkert
Team Member

Postby epaulw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Melissa-

If you are still there and listening, I'd like to take you up on the offer to look at the Aperio .svs files and accompanying .xml files.

Paul
epaulw

Postby mlinkert » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Thank you for offering to send files. Instructions on how to upload files have been sent in a private message.

-Melissa
mlinkert
Team Member

Postby mlinkert » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Thank you for uploading data. I have filed a ticket on our issue tracking system to add support for these XML files:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/10504

-Melissa
mlinkert
Team Member

Postby epaulw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Melissa-

Did you ever follow up on import of the Aperio XML accessory files?

Thanks

Paul
epaulw

Postby mlinkert » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:09 pm

No, this feature has not yet been completed. The above ticket will be marked as "closed" when it is finished.
mlinkert
Team Member

Return to User Discussion [Legacy]