We're Hiring!

Preview tab in Insight greyed out for no clear reason

General user discussion about using the OMERO platform to its fullest. Please ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

There are workflow guides for various OMERO functions on our help site - http://help.openmicroscopy.org

You should find answers to any basic questions about using the clients there.

Preview tab in Insight greyed out for no clear reason

Postby dsudar » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi,
I just upgraded to 5.0.2 (both server and Insight client) and just noticed odd behavior of the Preview tab in the Insight client. For images larger than around 1500 by 1500 pixels the Preview tab is greyed out but for smaller images it is active and working just fine. I'm not sure what the cutoff is but for images of 2048 by 2048 it is greyed out and for images of 1344 by 1024 it is working fine. Not sure if this just started with 5.0.2 or whether it was there before I upgraded but I only just noticed because I wanted to use the Apply-All feature for the Rendering Settings.
The web client has no such oddity.
Thanks,
- Damir
dsudar

Re: Preview tab in Insight greyed out for no clear reason

Postby jburel » Fri May 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Damir

The limit is at 1500x1500. It was not introduced in 5.0.2
The decision was to restrict in both clients for big images only or no restriction at all.
If no restrictions we will have to adjust the preview in insight for big images.
What is the size of images you are working with?

Cheers
Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Postby dsudar » Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 am

Hi Jmarie,

Many of the images I work with are 2048 by 2048 (I got this nice sCMOS camera and our electron microscopes have 2k by 2k cameras) but we also have datasets of very large tiled composites of 4000 by 4000 or much larger. I'm glad that the preview works fine in OMERO.Web since most users use that. The only very specific reason to want to have the Preview functionality in Insight is so we can optimize the Rendering Settings for one image in a set and then do Apply-All for all other images in that same set. The right-mouse button menu item Rendering Settings -> Copy/Paste option in the gallery pane can probably do that same functionality but it is nowhere near as obvious as the Apply-All in Preview and furthermore I've been directing my users to the excellent Help pages: http://help.openmicroscopy.org/managing-data.html (point 11) and they get frustrated when they cannot use that function.

I presume it's a fairly big deal to implement the "large image display" capability in Insight. For the interim, would it be possible to lift the limit to 2500 by 2500?

Just as a side note I wanted to explain why it is very important to us (and probably others) to be able to have the same rendering settings applied to all images in an experiment: it gives the biologists a quick qualitative view of the effects of treatments or concentrations on their cells especially when acquired/displayed in plate format. Might be a good topic for a discussion in Paris next Friday how best to deal with Rendering Settings in general.

Cheers,
- Damir
dsudar

Postby jburel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Damir

Thanks for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the rendering options to make it clearer for users.
So your comments are very valuable, we can show you some mock-ups and discuss the coming changes in Paris.

Regards

Jmarie
jburel
Team Member

Return to User Discussion