We're Hiring!

OMERO table reading time

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

Re: OMERO table reading time

Postby bhcho » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:49 pm

if you think there was concurrent access on the HDF file by the following two lines of the log

2012-01-03 11:37:53,337 INFO [ omero.tables.TablesI] (Dummy-4 ) getTable: 2740 {}
2012-01-03 11:39:12,293 INFO [ omero.tables.TablesI] (Dummy-8 ) getTable: 2740 {}

these are not concurrent access. you can see there is time difference of 2 min., meaning I tried to open the Table again after 2 min.
Otherwise, I don't have any clue on this.
bhcho

Postby jmoore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Bk,

I don't know what might have caused the hanging of your tables service. If it happens again, please let me know, along with any info about what else was happening at the time.

As for the read times, my only suggestion for the moment is to read in fewer columns and rows at a time. In testing on your file, I got the best performance by reading half the columns for the first 2000 rows, then the second half of the columns for the same 2000 rows. Then going on to the next 2000 rows, etc.

I'll keep looking into how to increase the speeds as we work on 4.4.

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby bhcho » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks Josh,

There was a DDoS attack at that period of time. I don't think the DDoS attack directly caused the symptom, but I guess it could be an indirect source of the problem. I'll let you know if it happens again.

And thanks for your suggestion of splitting the reading process. How much did you cut the reading time by doing that?

Best,
BK
bhcho

Postby jmoore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I got down as low as 2 seconds, which is still admittedly too long.

~J.
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby bhcho » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:09 pm

for me, it took almost the same time as before (10~12 sec.). here's my code.

Code: Select all
def chunks(l, n):
    return [l[i:i+n] for i in range(0, len(l), n)]

table = conn.getSharedResources().openTable( omero.model.OriginalFileI( fid, False ) )

num_col = len(table.getHeaders())
num_row = table.getNumberOfRows()

chunk_col = chunks(range(num_col), 100) # read every 100 columns
chunk_row = chunks(range(num_row), 1000) # read every 1000 rows

data = []
for row in range(len(chunk_row)):
    temp_col = []
    for col in range(len(chunk_col)):
        values = table.read(chunk_col[col], chunk_row[row][0], chunk_row[row][-1]+1)
        values = values.columns
        for cols in values:
            column_value_list = cols.values
            temp_col.append(list(column_value_list))
    temp_col = zip(*temp_col)
    for r in temp_col:
        data.append(r)

FYI, when I used the 'table.read' only from the upper code (without the lines below the function), it took almost the same time. This means (I guess) there's something with the 'table.read' (or our server)

BK
bhcho

Previous

Return to Developer Discussion